Quilt-along 2021

Ooo! I pick lattice (I love stripey type bindings. They look so neat.) If not the lattice, then the purple print.

I also like the latticeā€¦the only one I donā€™t care for is the blackā€¦seems too starkā€¦goodnessā€¦each step gets prettier and prettier!

LOL, my husband just came in and said ā€˜No lattice. Geometric and florals donā€™t go together.ā€™ The black was really only in the running because her kitchen is black, white, and grey, and she asked for something to go with that. Or to be something machine embroidered in a black frame.

He is wrong! lolā€¦I think you could go for the more solid and it would be a bit more ā€œconservativeā€ā€¦but the lattice is definitely more ā€œprogressiveā€ā€¦it shakes up the entire piece, so to speakā€¦;).

I couldnā€™t decide the first time I saw this, but the second, the teal made me happier. Both do work well though.

Whoops, too late. I like a darker color for the binding, But black seems too dark.

Psssh! What does he know. Lol.

Would a dark gray work? One that blends a bit more with her kitchen? I do agree the black is too stark but maybe if it was muted a bit.

Okay, Iā€™m too late to vote for teal, but I like the raspberry for the back!

Raspberry!

Alsoā€¦anyone else getting Lrr vibes? :laughing: No? Just me? :rofl:

2 Likes

I didnā€™t see it in time to vote, so Iā€™m glad the teal won. And, I also vote for the lattice! I think the geometric aspect balances nicely with the rest, and I like the color.

Solid binding, black could be nice if thin strips, purple if wider. The lattice is very busy to my eye. Would look nice on a simpler quilt, for this one it seems to distract from the complex design.

1 Like

I vote teal too oops, too late.

For the binding, I think a solid colour would be best and Iā€™d suggest finding a grey to match the cat tails. It would also suit her colours.

@MistressJennie, with so many varying opinions, Iā€™m curious to see what color binding you ended up choosing!

Yā€™all will appreciate thisā€¦my mom is letting me borrow THREE quilting rulers! (She made me put in writing that I would take care of them and return them promptly if ever requested. :laughing:)

This is going to make squaring up my HSTs for the baby quilt Iā€™m making go so much faster. I didnā€™t have any rulers with a diagonal, just a mat. It worked but this will be much quicker.

12 Likes

I finished binding the quilt yesterday, and today Iā€™m doing the free motion quilting around the tiles & shapes. The pattern is set up that you add the borders in the quilt-as-you-go method. Laying down the backing and batting, and then sewing the borders onto the whole sandwich. So it just kinda felt like I should finish the edges before manhandling it through the machine.

Hope to finish in the next hour!

3 Likes

What a great mama (and smart for making you sign an agreement :laughing:)!

I have finished my B and C mystery quilt blocks (after realizing I had incorrectly sewn my middle strips on all but one and consequently seam ripping and re-sewing them :roll_eyes:). I am now piecing the top together! Will I have a completed quilt top at the end of the day?? I hope so :crossed_fingers:!

2 Likes

I love the idea of it already being bound before you quilt it!

BTW, does anyone have a favorite pattern for a quilt that uses a large print fabric? While pulling out another fabric, I stumbled over a piece I bought back in 2006 that Iā€™d love to stash bust. Itā€™s colorful scenes from Arthurian legend, that arenā€™t specifically stained glass, but give that sort of impression. The ladies and knights are pretty big. Each vignette is about 8"x10" to 9"x11", though some are smaller, like Arthur pulling the sword from the stone, or the Lady of the Lake, which are 5"x7 or 5"x8". Iā€™d like to fussy cut specific scenes, and surround them with black sashing. Then take the weird off-cuts and turn them into smaller pieced blocks, so that you no longer see part of the scene, but instead get an impression of color & stained glass.

Iā€™m wondering if I should even bother trying to look for a pattern, or if I should just make a bunch of random blocks of the scenes, surrounded by black borders, then design bits to fill in the blanks. Our anniversary is coming up in May, and we got married in a weird castle hotel, so I have a vague goal of finishing it by then, but honestly, have no idea what Iā€™d do with it after itā€™s done. :joy:

5 Likes

I think something like this would work, but custom to your pieces. Pretty much what you were talking aboutā€¦I think no pattern is the way to go. Just cut and see what size stuff youā€™re working with and then go from there.

3 Likes

My first thought was this pattern. I saw a picture of it on a longarm machine and I was struck by how large the floral panels were. But it seems like if you were to use that pattern, youā€™d end up with a lot of scenes repeated throughout. I know the Craftsman pattern is intended for larger pieces of fabric also.

Ooh, I like what @Whistlefish just posted and agree that that would be the way to go!

2 Likes

@AudiobookLover I like what you posted! Lol. If the panel was too small she could add coordinating sashing to make it the correct size. But alsoā€¦that quilt looks like a lot of work. :laughing:

1 Like