Quilt-along 2021

I just received a quilting box from Creative Notions. They have a monthly subscription service and normally everything comes packaged in a large USPS envelope with a fabric bag filled with quilting goodies, but I just received December’s subscription and it is in a cute blue box filled with promises of enjoyment!

I’m so excited to see what all is in it, but first I must give some medicine, read some books, and take care of LittleBookLover. I also need to put away all the Christmas stuff, so I think the box will be my reward (let’s hope I finally get it all done today!).

4 Likes

Oooh, maybe you can tease us all with a picture or two once you get into that box!

1 Like

NOOOOOOOOOO…I already get a subscription for yarn, stickers, and painting supplies…a quilting subscription will be the end of me…lol…

1 Like

For Feb, this site has some sweet heart patterns, easy to a bit harder.

2 Likes

I’m working on designing my quilt. Some blocks are 4 x 4 blocks and some are 3 x 3 blocks. I am finding it awkward to place these, they are not visually pleasing to me even separated by strips. Hmmm, thinking on this one.

1 Like

I @marionberries offer “Skyler’s Quilt” for my small challenge entry.

I am a slow quilter so this comes in at the 10 hour end of the crafting time. I finished the top in November and then put it away due to swaps, masks, holiday and birthday projects.

The main colors are navy, turquoise, and red/orange with a charm pack of animal prints plus some leftovers from previous baby quilts. I did a disappearing 9 patch for the first time. Wow, it was the easiest quilt ever! Though figuring out how many of navy centered and orange centered blocks was fun.

12 Likes

It looks so cozy!! I really like the way the turquoise, navy, and orange coordinate with each other. Your label on the back is perfect!m and your ditch stitching looks impeccable. Spectacular job, overall!

Congratulations on being our first challenge entry!

1 Like

Ha, not really, but after a wash and dry, it poofed up enough to hide the lousy stitching I did. I used navy for the top and it was too dark to not show when I colored outside the lines. I wish I had just done straight quilting and ignored the ditches. But it’s done and only I will see most of the misses. I am very happy with how it turned out.

2 Likes

I never consider a quilt done until it is washed! It is amazing how forgiving a wash is to a lot of “imperfections”…plus, I like washing them to let the new recipients know that a quilt is meant to be used, loved, spit on, washed, etc. There is something so comforting about a nice crinkly handmade quilt…beautiful job!

6 Likes

It’s so pretty. I, too, really like the color combos! The pattern is very simple, but it just wonderfully done and is just a joy to look at! I love how the polka dot border really just brings everything together! (I started typing this as I saw the smaller polka dot blocks).

I’ve added your entry to our drawing list! I’m so excited to have a first entry! Congratulations!

3 Likes

I’d like to use the heart quilt block @edel is working on for February if she gets it written in time. Do you have a favorite one out from these patterns and maybe we can add it to another month?

1 Like

I was thinking that @edel’s is at a higher skill level and we might have an alternative for those who are more beginner level.

This one reminds me of those little felt heart candy baskets we made in school.

1 Like

Okay, fair point. I have added it as an option.

2 Likes

I love your fabric choices - so bright and fun! The quilt turned out fabulously.

1 Like

@Lynx I’ll do my best to get it written and a tire done for Feb! But I agree with @marionberries it would be good if there was an alternative if people want it. Although I’ll do a really detailed step by step tute, and I think the blocks looks a little more complex than it

And @marionberries I love your quilt, the orange and blue is a really nice combo

4 Likes

I don’t want you to feel pressured to finish it by February, I just thought it would fit good there. Either way, we’ll find a month for it! I’m excited to try it. I can always add an alternate block to a different month, too.

2 Likes

I once spoke with a batting representative who told me that 100% cotton batting is the best for hiding imperfections. So all cotton, all the way for me!

5 Likes

@Edel I love your block, but I go for easier blocks since I am the queen of wonky results. But I would love to see it made up in a variety of fabrics here. It’s a wonderful and sweet design.

1 Like

Question : Do any of you like to to use large quilting panels, and if you do, what do you make with them?

2 Likes

Not a fan…I am hanging on to some fabrics that have large images/panels and can’t think of anything other than a tote bag to make with them…I would not want a quilt or blanket…I think it depends on why you quilt…I enjoy making the tops because of the patterns and fabric choices…cutting apart fabric and putting them back together seems a big counter intuitive if all you wanted was a lap blanket…it is the process of piecing and seeing how things turn on is what I enjoy…so no large panels for me

3 Likes