Quilt-along 2021

Oh, that is going to be just beautiful! I agree with others, I want to see those pretty colors together!

That’s going to be a gorgeous quilt!

My theory is that it’s best to work on the project while you’re feeling inspired. I too am looking forward to seeing all those colors come together in your design!

4 Likes

Catching up. The mythical dauschaunds OMG the 2 boarders I get are wiener dogs! Its hysterical with them here now as Hudson is the size of a kitchen table and Meika is the size of a shoe yet some how he just knows she’s in charge! She putts around like the old lady she is, never barking, growling nothing yet he knows! I could see her made into her own mythical quilt!

5 Likes

I Edel submit this crib quilt as a large item for this quarter.

Finally got this done, it took a long time, because of the house move/renovations between piecing and quilting. It’s going to its little recipient tomorrow.

13 Likes

What a thoughtful gift! I like the additional pop of color from those colorful inner borders. Your fabric behind it looks so nicely organized and ready to inspire your next project!

1 Like

Thank you. It’s so nice to have everything organized

1 Like

-I marionberries offer Sh-h-h Sea Gull for my small challenge entry for this quarter.
A mug rug I crafted for the swap, it is a soothing ocean scene with a gull winging its way above a setting sun.

There is a bit of applique, reverse applique, and lots of random stitching.

13 Likes

I don’t remember if I commented on this in its own thread or not, but I LOVE it!

1. Your thread sketching skills are amazing!
  2. The reverse appliqué is such a fun detail!
  3. Beautiful scene created by the background thread strips!
  4. I really do love it :blush:
2 Likes

This is gorgeous, I love the frayed edge strips

I have you marked as a large already for your chair cover, so I’m going to put it as your medium instead. :slight_smile:
I love the wavy lines. What a fun and colorful design.

@marionberries, I still am in love with your seagull mug rug! So pretty!

I’d totally forgotten the chair cover! :grin:

1 Like

So had I!

Ok, you guys talked me into it. I stopped at the quilt shop on the way home from the gym, and picked up background and backing fabrics.

9 Likes

Okay… I think I’ve gone a little bit insane. My aunt, mom, sister, and I are each going to make a version of the “Dear Jane” or Jane Stickle quilt (1863 Jane Stickle Quilt – Bennington Museum | Grandma Moses | Vermont History and Art). My mom, my aunt, and I drove up to VT two weeks ago to view it (they drove from near Cape Cod, and I met up with them about halfway), only to get all the way there to find out it wasn’t on display! They’re going up again tomorrow (it’s actually on display now), and my mom offered to go up again on Saturday, but it’s a long drive for her, so I’ll get up there on my own at some point.

I seriously don’t know why I think I can complete this in my lifetime when I haven’t even kept up with one block a month here! But, I will be setting up my sewing machine in a semi-permanent spot, so it’ll be less of a production for me to sit down and sew when the mood strikes.

I thought we were going to divide the blocks up and then sew 4 of each (one for each of us) in everyone’s preferred color palette, bet everyone else decided that would be too much of a pain. My aunt found a site that has free foundation paper pieced patterns (with some applique patterns, too), so next Saturday, I’ll try to teach my mom how to FPP.

6 Likes

Yikes! And here I was feeling like I was slogging through squaring up a million HST’s that would never end. Tip of the hat to you my friend.

In all seriousness, I’ve only got 120 HST’s to square. 16 large 8” that I finished, and 104 3.5”. I think I’m about 1/4 of the way through the 3.5” ones. I’m soooooo grateful I took a chance and bought a 3.5” Block Loc HSR ruler for a previous project. And splurged on a rotating cutting mat. It’s making things a lot easier to do in bulk.

4 Likes

The squares are about 4" and some are pretty intricate, so I’m happy that FPP patterns are available. They have an EPP pack that has all of the paper pieces cut (but not sorted, it seems), and I can imagine how much longer that would take.

I did buy a ruler set for the squares and the triangles (the right tool for the job makes a world of difference!), and I think it’s the right size for the patterns my aunt printed out for us. At least, I hope it is! Somewhere, I have a small rotating cutting mat (I think it’s in my EPP kit), so I should probably dig that out when I am ready to square up my blocks. Having never tackled something like this before, do you suggest I square the blocks as I go? Or, wait until they’re all finished (it’s over 250, I think)?

2 Likes

250 blocks! Wow! I would sqare as you go. I could see where squaring at the end would be a real procrastinators nightmare. But that’s me.

But what an amazing quilt at the end.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to see your progress in thus! It’s great that you’re doing it with your mom and aunt. Hopefully you can keep each other motivated!

I think it would be best to square as you go. That way it’s a bit of a chore as you finish each block, opposed to a big chore at the end.

1 Like

I made this quilt top today. I think I’ll trim it a bit and the sides make it a little smaller. And think I think I’ll bind in black, or do you think blue?

It’s an Elizabeth Hartman on craftsy, improv quilt.

11 Likes