Quilt of sadness and love

My best friend died Nov 1… Suddenly and unexpectedly. He was 47. Our adult lives were lived in different provinces and time zones and even countries at one point. But he would show up at my door ( or behind me at the bar) unannounced and randomly and we picked up where we left off.
My heart hurts. My feelings are heavy.
And when crafters get sad, isn’t it normal to go make things? Even if only to give our mind something else to focus on? I called my commissions and let them know I would be pausing this past week so I didn’t make any screw ups in my distractedness and went to sew things.
I made this

. And TBH I don’t feel better. But I have another quilt. :woman_shrugging:

41 Likes

I’m sorry about your friend. It is a lovely quilt, what a nice way to commemorate your relationship.

2 Likes

I am so, so sorry about your friend dying. It can take a long time to feel better and I do think it’s very common for creative and crafty people to lean on that to get through tough times either by basic distraction or catharsis. Your quilt is amazing!

3 Likes

I’m so sorry sloth. The quilt is beautiful.

2 Likes

So sorry to hear about your friend :heart: The quilt is beautiful and now full of love for your friend.

2 Likes

I’m so sad for you! That’s a huge amount of work in this quilt and I hope you had some good memories of him while you sewed.

2 Likes

So sorry for the loss of your friend, @sloth003.

When you see this quilt in the future, may it always remind you of the warmth of friendship… and I hope you think of this community as a friendly place that wraps you in craft-love.

:heart:

2 Likes

I am so so sorry about you best friend passing suddenly! My heart and prayer going up for you! Making something does help!

Your quilt is beautiful! It does help to focus on something…

2 Likes

Sometimes feeling better takes a lot longer than we want it to, but I hope that you can at least cuddle up in the new quilt & feel cozier. :green_heart:

3 Likes

I’m so sorry, honey. Nothing makes this better but doing things you enjoy is very healing. You channeled your love & hurting into something beautiful here.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry my friend. This is so hard to bear.:heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

I am so sorry about your loss. The quilt is wonderful and hopefully it will bring you comfort down the road.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss; 47 is too young to go. And I’m sorry that finishing the quilt didn’t help much. But I’ve always felt that scrappy quilts are an excellent metaphor for life; some parts are light, some are dark, some are fun and silly, some are somber and serious. And they all add up to something beautiful and wonderful and unique. Just like your friend.

4 Likes

My condolences, losing someone really close is hard and sadly it will take more than one quilt. He wasn’t old at all so the shock doesn’t help either. It sounded as if you twobhad the best kind of friendship.

3 Likes

This is so sad. I know I can’t really help, but I’m sending you virtual hugs :cry:

2 Likes

{{{{{@sloth003 }}}}}}
In all honesty I’d love to say you will, but, you won’t feel better. My best friend was the same, we lived in different countries all over the world but were always connected! Its been 20 years in February of 2022 that he passed away and I can’t say a single day has passed I don’t think of him and he isn’t here with me. But, you find solace in that. He will have left a piece of him behind in you! You will be able to get back to your work soon, you’ll loose yourself in the tasks at hand and live on, when you pause the memories will be there some great, some sad. You need to give yourself time to go through it all.

4 Likes

My beautiful friend.

It never stops hurting, not even a little. She would want me to live every day of my life with gusto, I try to remember that & it helps a little.

6 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s a beautiful quilt. :blue_heart:

1 Like

I am so sorry for your loss.

1 Like

You have made something beautiful from all the hurt, emotions, questions, and emptiness. Bravo for knowing your limits and finding a way to deal. Just remember that you are not alone.

My best friend was stolen from us before we were able to reach 30. Hard days are more spread out now, although domestic violence will still tick me off in an instant.

I really hope all our virtually hugs help smooth your way.

1 Like