Quiltalong - 2022

Cute and on clearance, two very good reasons to buy!

Maybe if you share pictures here it will help motivate you to make something (or maybe I just want to see your cute Christmas fabrics :wink:).

3 Likes

Last year I made a christmas table runner. I wanted to show off the prints without adding another quilt to the pile. We don’t have specific Christmas quilts but we have plenty of quits we use all year round.

When we’re finished renovating our house I’m thinking of finding a place to hang seasonal wall-hangings though, that would be a good excuse to make a Christmas quilt (and half a dozen more for the seasons and other holidays!).

4 Likes

You are asking the wrong group for help! :grin:

I have a weakness for Christmas fabrics as well, but I can’t possibly use it all up. I am planning on a small tree skirt using some patchwork but what’s that…maybe a yard total?

I don’t know how to help you…except to say that some people collect art to look at…we collect fabric to look at? We feel you pain…and joy!

4 Likes

I’m a sucker for cute prints and couldn’t stop myself from ordering the cup of cheer layer cake you linked. I have no idea what I’m going to do with it but the prints were so cute!

3 Likes

Now you made me go look…walking away from my computer for a bit… :rofl:

3 Likes

Reusable, reversable fabric gift bags are a great thing to have on hand for the holidays. They also make a nice gift, or to wrap a gift you’re giving. I made a big pile with excess holiday themed fabric I was also collecting for no good reason. I posted a tutorial, it’s simple and surprisingly uses up more fabric than you’d think. I ended up with a lot of little bags. That’s ok though, I have so much xmas fabric left for more, lol.
I donated most of the ones I made to a fund raising holiday bazaar, it made me happy to send a practical, useful item that might divert some garbage from the landfil.

6 Likes

I don’t even know how to sew properly (yet) and I have a Christmas fabric collection! I think this is a universal addiction. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Phwew! I just made it. I finally gave in and went to buy the Cup of Cheer layer cake I mentioned earlier, only to see that there were just 2 remaining. I couldn’t get my credit card info in fast enough, lol (I then proceeded to verify that they were not just creating a false sense of urgency and sure enough, now there’s only one left…better hurry @AIMR!).

@Magpie, it’s funny that you mention the fabric gift bags. The other day I came across just such a project in one of my quilting magazines. I was thinking of making a few. I like that your tutorial offers the ability to change up the sizes.

3 Likes

Oh ya, it’s a basic formula you can cut in any size to fit whatever fabric pieces you’re working with. Tall & skinny, short & wide, big, small, tiny, boxed corners for a little or a large bottom. I would recommend fusing interfacing on the outter & even the lining fabric for a really big size. You could even use fusible felt & do simple quilted lines for a really big bag, that would add structure & help disguise the shape of whatever is inside.

2 Likes

Ooh, I like this idea! I am hoping to finish a quilted gift for my mom for Christmas and was thinking of making a bag both for gifting and for storage (it’s a Halloween wall quilt, so it’d be stored away most of the year). I had been looking at the magazine pattern wondering how I’d go about upsizing the bag. But, with your tutorial and the info you just provided, I’m thinking one of your bags will be the way to go. Thank you!

3 Likes

If it’s a big enough bag & you feel up to the challenge, I’m pretty sure quilting could be done after it’s all assembled. That way it would still be fully reversable! Best of luck, looking forward to seeing what you come up with for that awesome quilt you’ve been working on! Or, quilts, since there are two. :jack_o_lantern: :ghost:

1 Like

Thank you! I’m really looking forward to completing them!

I marionberries, offer Year in Color for November’s prompt for more than 3 hours of quilting. I worked on this over the weekend, pushing to get the back done, sandwiched, quilted, and bound. I am donating to our church’s Artisan Craft Fair held on Nov 18 & 19. It will likely be in with some of the featured items donated for Friday Night Specials, or maybe the silent auction. The quilt measures about 45 x 60.

13 Likes

You did it! It looks great…love all the color…this is a very cheerful quilt!

Love the rainbow backing as well…I know it will go to a good home!

1 Like

So awesome, the vibrancy is incredible!

I like the swirl pattern that you quilted. Did you do one large swirl and then go back in and do a second pass inside the first?

1 Like

Yes, i did. I made the first swirl in chalk and it was too wide, so I adjusted and did another inside that. And then because I can’t seem to either sew a straight line or a nice smooth curved line, I do the wiggly-waggly version hoping it will look intentional! I don’t like a close quilting pattern, I feel it flattens the quilt and you lose that warm, slightly fluffy feeling.

The quilt measures about 45 x 60.

And I always underprice. It isn’t a big ticket item event, everything is underpriced and we still make money. Knitted and sewed items, book sale, used jewelry sale, wood crafts, Christmas ornaments and deco items, tag sale, yummy goodies, and a nice specialty shop that sells pottery, mosaics, and things like that.

So suggestions on price range?

4 Likes

Happy birthday @marionberries!! I hope you have a wonderful day today!

I have no idea on pricing, but I hope the event goes really well. It sounds like a really nice fundraiser with a large variety of offerings!

2 Likes

Happy B’day, you crafty genius!

2 Likes

Ooo pretty…

11 Likes