Quiltalong - 2022

It was so much work, not just the usual putting together of colours, but the backing of the puffs. I did it differentIy to the post above and sewed all 4sides then slit a stuff hole, then sewed it up after piecing. Hence, so much work.

I can’t remember what I used to stuff it, probably some form of polyfill - is that what Americans reference? Certainly not polyfilla here in the UK, that is a whole different thing

But yes, couldn’t easily be used as a lap quilt because it is heavy. They used it as something nice to sit on in a window nook. But they used to live in a very cold house and did use it in winter as a top quilt. I guess if you like weighted blankets then it would work like that.

I have no idea why I thought it would be good to make one, but I think in most circumstances it would be more decorative than useful. Definitely never making one again!!!

2 Likes

That sounds like a ton of work! But it also sounds like your work was appreciated, so definitely worth it!

Lol, my eyes looked ahead to the picture you included and I was so confused as to what role that played in the making of the quilt :laughing:.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, absolutely none!!! Just the words are similar.

2 Likes

I’m going in, I’m hoping to reach the end of September and the end of a lot of these scraps.

The box on the right are 2.5" strips, any one got any nice jelly roll suggestions?

4 Likes

I hate to be a broken record, but the scrap quilt I’m working on can be done with a jelly roll for a put together look, or ULTRA scrappy with whatever 2.5” strips you have. If you watch the video of her making it, she makes 2 whole quilts to demonstrate the difference. The beginning is the jelly roll (red, orange, purple on left) but you can fast forward to the ultra scrappy version on the right.

4 Likes

Thank you! I really like those, I’ll save my strips for something like that.

In the meantime, I’ve started a regular scrappy block with my green and blues. 6* 9.5" sqs and not made much of a dent!

10 Likes

Great scrappy squares! They’re awesome! The upside of not making a dent in the stash is that you have plenty more fabric to make more squares and a bigger quilt.

3 Likes

I’ve just watched that video. How much do I want her quilting machine?! Pinning and quilting are my least favourite parts of the proxess, an automatic machine would be heaven!

2 Likes

Thank you :grin: I’m going back to it now, I hope to get ten squares finished today. I’m thinking a 4*5 array of blocks with sashing would make a nice lap quilt. But if I’ve loads, it might get bigger :grin:

EDIT: the blues and greens are officially done!! I made 21x9.5" squares, plenty for decent sized lap quilt. And this is all I’ve left over…

For my sanity I don’t keep really small scraps, anything plain less than about 1.5 inches goes and anything that has a lovely pattern I’ll keep if it’s about 1"

This is today’s work. Nicely therapeutic.

9 Likes

I am inspired to create a scrappy quilt for camping/car use. I’ll just start with scrappy squares and see where I go!

4 Likes

Here’s the first steps of my attempt to use up my boring scraps. Actually now I’m working on it it’s starting to grow on me, maybe in a while I won’t think it’s ugly!

The finished size of what I’ve got so far will be 22,5" x 22,5" so I’ll need to add some more blocks. Right now I’m out of yellow scraps, but I’m using it on the back of another quilt so that may yield more scraps. I’ve got enough blue fabric for 11 7,5" blocks more.

6 Likes

I really think that when we take our ugly/boring fabric and put them together, they blend and come out nicely! You can use contrast, like you have done, to make an interesting quilt! I love a mix of floral type patterns (rounded) with more geometric…excellent!

1 Like

For this block, I cut the 5" squares into a long strip, a short strip and a square. What I didn’t like about the original squares is that in many of them you’d see a small bit of an animal and otherwise just foliage / background. When I cut the squares into smaller pieces, I’d expected the animals to disappear completely. But I feel like they’re more visible now than they were. It feels a bit like the animals are playing hide and seek.

3 Likes

I have about a half yard of several pieces of fabric like that…it just looks like animals or birds with no heads or no legs…I have been loathe to use them because of that, but now that I have seen yours, you are right…sort of looks like a built in peek-a-boo! lol

1 Like

Oohh I like that @Immaculata

My box of green and blue scraps is now a quilt and has been given to it’s very grateful recipient.

That photo is weird, the sun was low in the sky so all the quilting really shows

My husband for scale.

11 Likes

Just wanted to point out, that helps me in no way… is he 5’1” or 6’2” :joy::woozy_face:

4 Likes

That is an excellent point :joy:. He is 6’.

It is probably more helpful to say that the blocks are 9" and the sashing and border 2"

6 Likes

Your scraps quilts are such an inspiration. Your “get it done” process is so inspiring and they always come out unique and not as I expect. It is a great size. I am sure your friend loved it!

2 Likes

@Edel I got inspired with your scrappy blocks! So I made a few 12.5 colorful blocks. I think I’ll cut these up and recombine. It is relaxing and fun!

13 Likes

They are lovely, they would make a fabulous mini rainbow quilt as they are, or a tote.

2 Likes