Quiltalong - 2023

I, AIMR, submit this as a medium to medium large finish. It is the first baby quilt I have made using a jellyroll. The piecing was fast, but the quilting and binding were challenging. I truly admire anyone who quilts and binds larger quilts…this wore me out! :laughing: I had to take a few afternoon naps, seriously!

Now I am motivated to do something “simpler” like make the blocks of the month! ha

13 Likes

@AIMR This looks beautiful all quilted and bound. The dark blue binding definitely frames it nicely! I like the blues and greens if your latest project, it gives the pattern such a refreshing feel!

@marionberries, I love that you managed to create new blocks out of old trimmings!

3 Likes

@AIMR such sweet quilts! They will be loved.

@marionberries how cool, all those memories are so nostalgic. Beauty.

We are nearing the end of the month and the end of the first quarter (how in the world did that happen so quickly!?).

Reminder - at the beginning of the year, some of you submitted lists of goals you were hoping to accomplish this quarter. If you have completed any of these goals, please don’t forget to submit your finish for an entry into the prize drawing (even if you’ve entered the project as another type of entry [ie. challenge entry, personal finish, etc.], so long as it was on your goal list and you’ve completed it, it qualifies as an additional entry).

We are in need of BOMs for the rest of the year. So far all our blocks have been variations of star blocks. We can continue in that vein and have all star themed blocks for the rest of the year, or we can stray away and go non-star in some of the upcoming blocks. What do you guys think?

2 Likes

I’m always good for suggestions even if I hardly ever get any sewing done, ha!
String blocks are so gorgeous & versatile.
Stack & whack gives a bunch of similar but different blocks at once.
I love wonky houses & log cabins.

2 Likes

I like the wonky houses & log cabin idea
I marionberries:
First quarter goals: Flannel Goodness layer cake lap quilt. - Finished, delivered, and posted earlier as a personal finish or -I marionberries , submit Lisa’s Quilt/Flannel Goodness for my goal list entry
And/or: Scrappy Trees lap quilt. - Maybe one-tenth done? so no ticket here

-I marionberries , offer Rescue Quilt for my medium challenge entry. - Donated wonky blocks and then finished with fabrics from my stash. I did purchase one fabric and used batting and backing from thrift shop finds.

-I marionberries , offer community quilt blocks for my small personal finish.
I am Willing - Holly Near

August Moon (We Know We Are Love) - Nedra Johnson|

Singing Ferns

Milkweed and Monarchs

11 Likes

These are absolutely stunning. You are such a fabric artist!

2 Likes

This quilt is made up of all different flower blocks & it is just Gorgeous!

5 Likes

This popped up on my facebook this morning. Not in love with the fabrics but I was so proud when I finished!

12 Likes

Nice! I like the asymmetrical symmetry! Those black squares create a lot of movement!

4 Likes

They really do! My eyes travelled down the zigzag following those black squares without me even realizing what I was doing. I like how the other squares look like windows looking out into a garden!

4 Likes

That’s really lovely.

1 Like

Ooh, math quilts!

7 Likes

I was looking for photos of some zipper monster pouches I had made years ago when I came across these. The Solar System quilt was made for my GS and was a toss game on one side and tic-tac-toe on the other. The very first quilt I had ever made.
X Quilt Space1
X Quilt Tic Tac

The Circle of Hope quilt was for a swap, and if one of you has this, let me know, I have forgotten the details…it was 2015 for goodness sakes. What made me, a moderately skilled sewer, but novice quilt maker choose this, I don’t know. And it’s one reason I hate curves. :smiley: I almost kept this one.
Circle of Hope quilt 2
Circle of Hope quilt 3
I had forgotten about these two quilts, both lap sized.

10 Likes

Goodness, that reminds me of something I saw today. An einstein shape has finally been discovered. It’s a polygon that fits together with itself to fill a plane, but never creates a repeating pattern. Seeing it gave me the weird desire to turn it into a quilt.

5 Likes

It would be interesting if each piece was cut exactly the same from one patterned one directional fabric. The orientation would change to create a pattern that would be different, but enough to make it noticeable? And, I guess the only way to turn it into a quilt would be to cut all the outer pieces, leaving only the interior section the pattern…

Doesn’t it make you wonder what practical applications this information could be used for? Is it only for art, decoration, wallpaper, etc? And, tiles? :grin:

2 Likes

I do wonder what types of applications would benefit from a lack of repeating patterns. It seems like there should be some structural advantage to never developing any predictable fault lines in a surface. Things that make you go ‘hmm.’ Either way, they look like t-shirts.

2 Likes

I suppose the pattern could be used for sidewalks, etc. just for that reason…no stress or predictable join lines…it would make a very wicked jigsaw puzzle… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oh, hey there.

All you craftalong-ers check out the Peek Behind The Curtains Challenge! You don’t need to make something new to join in, you just have to (finally) share the things you’ve made already! WHAT!?

1 Like

Yes! I saw this too, but fb did its refresh thing and I lost it. There must definitely be engineering applications as well as design.

2 Likes