Quiltalong - 2023

Super scrappy scrap quilt by @tendstowardschaos

It’s the third year of our Quiltalong! This cozy, quilty space is the place to share all things quilt related, regardless of your skill level. We are here to encourage and hopefully inspire you! Come share your quilting journey with us, we can’t wait to see what you create!

On top of sharing our projects, we will have fun prompts, challenges, and Blocks of the Month that you can participate in for a chance to win prizes! Additionally, you can also win prizes just by finishing the quilted projects you want to work on! Prizes will range from Amazon/Etsy gift cards to a quilting supply. The more tickets you earn, the better your chance of winning the quarterly challenge prize! Prizes will be provided by AudiobookLover.

Prompts: Each month there will be an inspirational prompt. The prompts this year will include a variety of different piecing and quilting techniques. When you complete a prompt, you will be given a ticket into our quarterly prize drawing.

Challenges: Every quarter (every 3 months) we will host a challenge. You can enter one item of each size (small, medium, or large) to earn tickets for the challenge. You can participate in the challenges even if you do not complete final quilting yourself, but your quilt top is complete. You can enter a quilt top/pieced mini quilt as a challenge entry even if you have not finished the project. If you want to wait and count it as a larger (time wise) entry, that works too.

Personal Finish: Why be limited by the prompts and challenges? Any finish deserves to be celebrated. Each quarter, you can enter one item of each size (small, medium, or large) to earn tickets. This includes everything from quilt blocks to completed quilts.

Project Sizes
Small: Something that takes you less than 10 hours to sew and quilt. (1 ticket)
Medium: Something that takes you 10-20 hours to sew and quilt. (2 tickets)
Large: Something that takes you 20 or more hours to sew and quilt. (3 tickets)

Group Nominated Block of the Month: Each month, we will have a new member nominated block that you can complete using your own fabric choices. The goal is to have enough blocks by the end of the year to create a nice sized quilt top that you can then show off to everyone in the Quiltalong. If you complete BOM during the month it is hosted, you will earn 2 tickets. You can also earn 1 ticket by completing the monthly block outside of it’s hosted month (ie. if you complete the March block during the month of March, you get 2 tickets. If you complete the March block during a different month, you get 1 ticket).

Goal List: Please share your quilty goals for this quarter. For each goal that you accomplish, you will receive an extra ticket to the Quiltalong prize drawing. This can be in combination with other tickets that you may earn with your quilted project. For example, on your list of goals you have “Complete 2022 BOM quilt.” Once you complete this goal (and post it as a ticket entry), you will earn a ticket to the prize drawing. You can also submit your 2022 BOM quilt as a personal finish or prompt/challenge entry.

How to Post an Entry: To enter a Prompt, Challenge, Personal Finish, BOM, or Goal List project for a ticket entry, please use the appropriate header below, at the start of your post:
-I your name, offer your item for month’s prompt
-I your name, offer your item for my small/medium/large (pick one) challenge entry.
-I your name, offer your item for my small/medium/large (pick one) personal finish.
-I your name, submit this as my (late/current) (BOM month) BOM entry.
-I your name, submit your goal for my goal list entry.

PRIZE DRAWING ENTRIES

Helpful Notions/Tools
Helpful Links

15 Likes

Quarter 1 Challenge
(January 1 - March 31)
Use your stash:

Fabrics that you couldn’t resist, patterns that called out to you - over time, we quilters tend to collect these things and build up a stash. Now is the time to use those items! Quilt something amazing using at least 50% stash materials.

Quarter 2 Challenge
(April 1 - June 30)
Art Quilt:
Art quilts are created using a quilting method that is led by the art, not by the pattern (like patchwork quilting). An art quilt is a quilt to be looked upon rather than snuggled under. Art quilts can be ‘broadly classified’ under the following categories:
Abstract, Improvisational, Collage, Landscape, Nature, and Portraits
The challenge for this quarter is to create your own art quilt. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just give it a try and enjoy the process!

Mr. X Stitch explains art quilts - pretty much all of the information above was gleaned from this post.
How to design a simple art quilt

Quarter 3 Challenge
(July 1 - September 30)
Jelly Roll Race:
The race is on to create a fun quilt using either precut jelly roll strips or strips you’ve cut yourself. Whether you choose to make an original Jelly Roll Race quilt (you can have a completed quilt top in an hour or less :astonished:), create your own unique variation of said Jelly Roll Race, or simply race to your machine with a favorite jelly roll pattern, the challenge is to create a quilt project using 2.5" strips of fabric.

Quarter 4 Challenge
(October 2 - December 31)
Complete your project:
I think we may have had the same goal last year around this time. The point of this challenge is to encourage everyone to complete their 2023 quilt projects before the end of the year. Whether it’s a project you started some time earlier this year or a project that you’ve been meaning to start all year (I have more than a few of those!), the challenge is to finish it by the end of this quarter.

This year’s monthly prompts are intended to help you learn (or possibly just practice) a variety of skills.

January Prompt
Improv Piecing:
Free yourself of the structure of quilting and let the fabric guide you. According to jitterywingsquiltco.com, “Improvisational Quilting is quilting without design rules, boundaries, or specific intentions…the design is free, fluid, and flexible.” Create something fun using the improv piecing technique.

February Prompt
Foundation Paper Piecing:

Explore the unlimited possibilities of foundation paper piecing (FPP). "According to this article on how to foundation paper piece, “Foundation paper piecing is when the outline of a quilt block is printed on a paper foundation and fabric is sewn together on the paper using the outline as a sewing guide. When the block is complete the paper foundation is removed.” Make a block using the FPP method. Who knows? Maybe that block will be the foundation of your next big project!

Foundations of foundation paper piecing

Free FPP patterns:
Wombat Quilts (includes the star pattern above)
Simple Simon and Co. (includes the diamond pattern above)
Carol Doak (includes the cat in a pumpkin pattern above)

March Prompt
English Paper Piecing:
Last month was about foundation paper piecing, this month is about English paper piecing (EPP). After reading through multiple definitions on EPP, I think wikipedia offers the best definition - “English paper piecing is a method of patchwork where fabric is wrapped around fabric shapes made of thin paper cardboard or heavy paper. Once the shapes are wrapped and ready, the sewer will hand sew the shapes together one at a time until the shapes become an intricate design. The paper or cardboard is removed once the shape has been sewn to another shape on all sides.”

One of the shapes I see most commonly done using EPP is hexagons, but it works for other shapes as well, including diamonds, triangles, and circles. Create and share at least 2 EPP shapes this month.

EPP Tutorial (with a video)
How To: English Paper Piecing

April Prompt
Applique:
Sewing your fabric/design on top of a larger piece of fabric. So many different designs can be achieved with the use of applique and this is the month to showcase that technique! Whether hand stitched, machine stitched, or even just fused, quilt something lovely using applique.

May Prompt
Free motion quilting:
The art of using your domestic machine to stitch through your quilt sandwich without the aid of the feed dogs. Designs can be made freehand or by following a design traced or drawn onto the quilt. Quilt a project using free motion quilting. It doesn’t have to be perfect, you just have to try!

Simple Free Motion Quilting Tutorial
Free Motion Quilting - helpful hints from @MistressJennie

June Prompt
Quilt with templates:
Templates can be used in a few different ways when it comes to creating a quilt. You can create a template in a certain shape and make a patchwork quilt consisting of fabric pieces cut from that template, you can use a template for applique shapes, or you can even just use a template to stitch out fun designs when doing the actual quilting process. How you choose to use a template is up to you, but whatever way you go, we want to see the results!

Quilting Templates Explained

July Prompt
Hand Quilting:
The original quilting method! Add some hand quilting to your next project. This is only a monthly prompt, so there are no big expectations. Coasters, a mug rug, a small wall hanging - any of these would be great way to explore the art of hand quilting!
Traditional hand quilting tutorial
Big stitch hand quilting tutorial

August Prompt
Embellishments:
Buttons, rickrack, lace, there are so many ways to embellish a quilt. Embellishments are a great way to add an extra bit of fun to a quilt, so this month, take your project to the next level by adding embellishments!
What is quilt embellishment?
13 Ways to Embellish a Quilt

September Prompt
Quilt As You Go (QAYG):
The quilt as you go technique allows you to do your quilting as you’re creating your quilt, as opposed to quilting after you’ve finished your entire quilt top. There are a few different ways of doing this. You can do a stitch and flip method as portrayed in this June Tailor video (the preprinted batting is helpful, but not necessary), you can quilt around appliqued pieces of fabric before joining your blocks together, or you can also quilt individual blocks and join them with or without sashing to create a final product that’s already quilted.

ShinyHappyWorld - This website offers information on the QAYG process including videos, quilting pattern ideas, and a variety of tips for QAYG.

October Prompt
Piecing curves:
Drunkard’s path, double wedding ring, orange peel - all of these patterns involve piecing curves to create beautiful quilt designs. Curved patterns can be used to create something classic and timeless or something fresh and modern. If you haven’t tried curved piecing before, now is the time to give it a whirl. If you have tried it before, we’d love to hear any tips you have to offer and see you put your skills into action!

Tips, Tricks, & Tools for Piecing Curves
7 Tips for Piecing Curves

November Prompt
Trapunto:
According to this introduction to trapunto blog post by Shannon Brinkley, “Trapunto is a quilting technique where you add extra stuffing or batting to create a more 3 dimensional effect in your design.” If you click on the link above, you can also see pictures that show this technique in action. With Christmas coming, this could be a great technique for creating an heirloom ornament!

Creating a Trapunto Design With a Sewing Machine - Step by Step Tutorial
Trapunto Quilting Video Tutorial

December Prompt
Strip piecing:
This time saving method helps you piece your quilts together more quickly. Strip piecing is done by sewing strips of fabric together and then cutting them down to individual blocks, or units that will be used to create a block.

Strip Piecing Basics
Strip Piecing - 3 Different Ways (Video tutorial)

8 Likes

BLOCK OF THE MONTH (BOM)
You have the option of creating the specific BOM featured for each month or submitting a similar looking block that is created more within your skill level or finishes at your preferred size.

January:

Wonky star - improv piecing - nominated by @magpie
Wonky star - improv piecing video tutorial

Wonky star - paper piecing
Tutorial on how to paper piece a block

February:
BOM Feb

Double Aster - nominated by @marionberries

Video links:
Double Aster Short Video
Double Aster Long Video
How to create Double Aster block with HSTs

March:

Entwined Star - nominated by @Magpie
Entwined Star Video Tutorial

April:

Log Cabin - suggested my @Magpie
Log Cabin Video Tutorial
Log Cabin - Paper Piecing Templates
Log Cabin Block - A Brief History

May:

Snail Trail - nominated by @marionberries
Snail Trail - Short Video Tutorial (Finished block sized at 8.25")

June:

Jack in the Box - traditional and paper piecing instructions - nominated by @Magpie
Jack in the Box - Coloring Sheet & sample layout

July:

Rainy Day - nominated by @MistressJennie
Alternate methods for making HSTs
Tutorial and chart for making split QSTs

August:

Mosaic - nominated by @AudiobookLover
This quilt block can be easily scaled up or down simply by changing the size of the HSTs.
HST size charts

September:

Woven Star - nominated by @MistressJennie
Alternate methods for making HSTs
Tutorial and chart for making split QSTs

October:

The second picture is an alternate layout that can be achieved by switching the order of the ‘V’ units.

Energize - nominated by AudiobookLover
Video walkthrough for making the 3" block
This block is block 24 in the ‘Sewcialites 2’ quilt along. You can google it to find a variety of blog posts that feature this block.

November:
Screenshot 2023-11-01 100250

Cain and Abel - nominated by AudiobookLover
Video Tutorial - makes 5.5" block

December:
This month, we have two different BOMs to choose from.
Screenshot 2023-12-01 084835
Christmas Candle Block - nominated by @MistressJennie and as noted by MistressJennie, this block is an odd size [it comes out as a rectangle], but it looks like you could easily modify it by adding in another candle to the row, widening the side pieces, or putting a frame around it.).

Pixelated Present Block - nominated by @MistressJennie

8 Likes

Welcome to the 2023 Quiltalong!

New this year!
There will be a quarterly incentive to help you complete projects from personal to-do lists! Please share your quilty goals for this quarter. For each goal that you accomplish, you will receive an extra ticket to the Quiltalong prize drawing. This can be in combination with other tickets that you may earn with your quilted project (ie. - on your list of goals you have “Complete 2022 BOM quilt.” Once you complete this goal (and post it as a ticket entry), you will earn a ticket to the prize drawing. You can also submit your 2022 BOM quilt as a personal finish or prompt/challenge entry.

The 2023 monthly prompts are intended to help you learn (or possibly just practice) a variety of skills. Our first monthly prompt goes well with our January BOM.

January Prompt
Improv Piecing:
Free yourself of the structure of quilting and let the fabric guide you. According to jitterywingsquiltco.com, “Improvisational Quilting is quilting without design rules, boundaries, or specific intentions…the design is free, fluid, and flexible.” Create something fun using the improv piecing technique.

And our first quarterly challenge is intended to help you make room for new fabrics by using what you already have.

Quarter 1 Challenge
(January 1 - March 31)
Use your stash:
Fabrics that you couldn’t resist, patterns that called out to you - over time, we quilters tend to collect these things and build up a stash. Now is the time to use those items! Quilt something amazing using at least 50% stash materials.

Please check out the first post to review all the different ways you can earn tickets to the quarterly prize drawings.

7 Likes

Yay!!

Ooo…improv! :thinking:

2 Likes

My goal for the 2023 (I don’t think I can fit it into a quarter) is to make the Postcards from Sweden quilt. I got the kit for Christmas and the colors are so pretty!

7 Likes

First quarter goals: Flannel Goodness layer cake lap quilt.
And/or: Scrappy Trees lap quilt.

I hope to get my sewing machine back this week , I am rather lost without it even though I do a multitude od crafts.:slight_smile:

7 Likes

First Quarter Goals:

• Finish scrappy squares quilt for DS1 (piece back, pin, quilt, bind)
  • Finish scrappy squares quilt for DS2 (piece back, pin, quilt, bind)

I’ve also had my sewing machine packed away for a while and can’t wait to get back to it.

5 Likes

I Edel submit this BOM as my current BOM entry.

I’m struggling with no crafty mojo, and I thought this might be a good place for start. Scrappy stash star and it’s nice to have a tiny thing done.

First quarter goals:

*Finish my postcards from Sweden quilt-the flimsy is done.

*Do something with the two charm packs my husband bought me for Christmas.

*Dig out 2022 (or was it 2021?) BOM and finish all of that year and make it into a lap quilt.

14 Likes

I love it! Wow–a bunch of those would make a fabulous quilt!

4 Likes

Loooove!!

2 Likes

Very pretty! The center block almost looks like strips of washi tape.

3 Likes

@photojenn, I hope you share progress pics as you make your postcard quilt!

@marionberries, I hope you get your machine back this week. You might do a bunch of other crafts, but it’s always nice to know your machine is there and ready to go when inspiration strikes! Are you going to use flannel fabric to back your flannel quilt?

@tendstowardschaos, I’m looking forward to seeing your scrappy quilts. What size squares did you use? Did you share pics on last year’s thread? I’m trying to remember if I’ve seen a preview or not.

@Edel, nice job on the scrappy star! I love how you always seem to jump in and get it done. I tend to be more of a toe-dipper (‘hmm, should I use this fabric for the center, or maybe that one will look better…’). This year when it comes to my projects, I’m going to try and spend less time thinking and more time doing.
Oh, also, charm packs? Do share! Which ones did you get?

5 Likes

I did share them last year! The tops are all done. They’re 3.5" (unfinished) squares, and the only appreciable difference is the borders/backing. They’ll have wool batting, so that’ll be a novel adventure for me.

11 Likes

I have a bunch of quilts, ranging from mostly finished tops to ideas-in-progress. I need a quilty finish or two this year!

2 Likes

So my orphan block/WIP box was way fuller than I had realised.

Turns out I had 10 BOM from 2021 (got nowt done last year) so with a bit of faffing, making another bock, rejecting two. I made this 3*3 flimsy, I’ll put this over the back of a sofa. I didn’t love the colour choices of the blocks, but they look good together. I hope to finish this tomorrow, it’ll be just simple straight line quilting. Then I need to make up some of the other Wisps.

And I totally won sashing chicken

14 Likes

It’s actually a spoonflower print of a photo of the spines of some of the sketchbooks I’ve made

6 Likes

Oh, neat! I can see it now!

1 Like

Pretty pink quilt!

What pattern are the green long blocks? I am looking to make long skinny blocks instead of square ones…they are on the right bottom.

1 Like

I’m not sure. I think they were meant to be something like the atomic Starburst quilt, but I screwed up the dimensions. I can’t remember what quilt they were from

3 Likes