Quiltalong - 2023

My sailboat search had a lot of stars in it which was very distracting. I saw similar to the one you posted but not the same.

2 Likes

I finally found it!

7 Likes

Ooo. I love those scrappy quilty stars!

1 Like

I do too. Those flying geese really put me off but I’m so tempted to try again. This guy (youtube link) makes incredible bags, often with patchwork elements, all from old clothes. I don’t want to quilt or make a bunch of the same thing but I do want to try just about everything I see at least once. Then, what do you do with it all? I like making bags & each one of his is different. I’m thinking about it… they’d make great gifts or donation items for a fund raiser.

3 Likes

There is a guy on FB that cuts up old quilts and crochet afghans to make hoodies and jackets…I just about die each time I see his videos, but the outcome is fantastic and he is repurposing stuff that people gave away or were going to throw out…

I like Don Kim as well…thanks for the link!

3 Likes

May has arrived and not only brought flowers, but a new prompt and BOM.

BOM:
May:

Snail Trail - nominated by @marionberries
Snail Trail - Short Video Tutorial (Finished block sized at 8.25")

May Prompt
Free motion quilting:
The art of using your domestic machine to stitch through your quilt sandwich without the aid of the feed dogs. Designs can be made freehand or by following a design traced or drawn onto the quilt. Quilt a project using free motion quilting. It doesn’t have to be perfect, you just have to try!

Simple Free Motion Quilting Tutorial
Free Motion Quilting - helpful hints from @MistressJennie

7 Likes

I just did free motion! LOL, good thing I liked it enough to try again. I have some plans this month, let’s see if I can actually get something done.

2 Likes

YouTube just recommended this video to me. I haven’t watched the whole thing, but I laughed, because the still image seemed like both @Magpie’s greatest temptation (ultra scrappy crumbs), and worst nemesis (flying geese/triangles). :laughing:

11 Likes

Ack, nnnooooo!!!

6 Likes

The latest issue of Country Living magazine has a nice Quilt article.

6 Likes

I love those circle blocks! What an easy way to show off a nice collection of fabrics.

4 Likes

I now have 60 boat bases, 60 masts, and 60 sails. Tomorrow they get assembled into blocks.

12 Likes

I marionberries , offer Scrappy baby quilt for my medium personal finish.

I discovered a tray of trimmings from 5 baby quilts and some other kids items fron the last 7 years. I quickly stitched them up into 8.5 inch blocks. I had to purchase the sashing, backing and binding fabrics, but I did have enough batting…barely.

Here’s the post.

8 Likes

Wow @MistressJennie, that is going to be beautiful!

Super cute scrappiness @marionberries, I like all the sweet animals for little ones to look at.

5 Likes

Good use of scraps! Lots of pattern and color…perfect for a baby quilt!

@MistressJennie … I can barely contain my tears imagining a person once wearing those clothes…it is going to be a lovely tribute.

4 Likes

@MistressJennie, the sailboats are such a great way to showcase the different fabrics! I love that Jake’s family will be able to wrap themselves up in literal memories of him :heart:.

@marionberries, what a great way to use up those fabric scraps!

@Magpie, I just added pics of my new basket and it reminded me that you should definitely submit your flying geese as a personal finish. You put a lot of work into them! Maybe the scrappy ones that MistressJennie posted would be easier to complete since they use triangle paper… Plus, imagine how amazing they would look once completed and used in a project :heart_eyes:.

3 Likes

I’ve finally posted my bee collage quilt!

4 Likes

I tried the jackknife block for this cushion cover.

Try as I might (stitch ripped & resewn 3 times) I couldn’t get this one corner perfect.

Oh well, still pretty good for a first try, right? Right.

10 Likes

I love the colors and the quote. Very striking and fun.

2 Likes

Psh! Don’t look to closely at any of my corners! :see_no_evil: That cover is perfection.

4 Likes