Quiltalong - 2023

I just pieced a quilt back and now I’m procrastinationg on sandwiching.

3 Likes

Well I didn’t get any of them quilted, but the backs for 2 were pieced, and I pin basted both.

5 Likes

I Edel submit this flimsy as a small and the last
thing I’ll make in 2023

Small I hear you say? Why yes indeed, I timed myself, including cutting, this took 2 hours and 5 minutes, and that included the pieced strip to go on the back. It’s lap quilt size, without borders it’s 46*61"

I particularly like the cathedral window shapes

This was made using the 10 minute quilt block on YouTube, it’s so easy!! And so fast. I wanted to try it out and used 11 different (cheap!) FQ I used an 8" size for the big squares and a 4.5" for the centres. These sizes were the most economical from the FQ I have (cheap FQ are smaller than they should be)

This is all the waste from the blocks.

So very little scraps generated.

The total time was pressing FQ, cutting, piecing, ripping out mistakes, pressing, laying out, joining blocks, ripping out stitches because I didn’t notice things in the wrong place, re-piecing, pressing.

I’d better go and spend time with DH now as it is NYeve

10 Likes

Heck yeah! Go you for whipping this up so fast!

2 Likes

What afun stash buster!

2 Likes

-I MistressJennie, offer my pair of Regatta Memory Quilts for my Large Challenge entry.

(Apologies, I seem to have only gotten a full photograph of one of them! Not sure how that happened, as they were a little different from one another.)

More info here:

Now to piece the last back for my 5th kids quilt top, then try to quilt as many as I can by dinner time…

10 Likes

I got two more quilted and trimmed today, and the last one is pin basted and ready to quilt tomorrow!

9 Likes

I saw that pattern and thought it looked interesting. Yours turned out great.

3 Likes

Got the 5th one quilted!

10 Likes

Is there a new quiltalong for 2024?

3 Likes

@MistressJennie You’ve inspired me. I sandwiched a baby quilt and will quilt it tomorrow. I am loving this retired life!

And I am all for a Quilt-along for 2024. It keeps me making quilts for donation, though participation has dropped off.

I have ideas for art quilts spinning in my head.

6 Likes

I’ve not done any quilting this year except for a potholder on Christmas Eve, but I hope to quilt lots of things in 2024! I have a craft room again now, supplies unpacked and machine set up.

I have a few smaller scrappy projects in various stages of completion, but unfortunately charity quilting isn’t a thing in my country. The last charity I was aware of that accepted quilts stopped accepting anything homemade during the pandemic. The local charity thrift shop sells a lot of crafted items, so I know I could drop it off there. I’m just not sure how I feel about my quilt being sold for €1 or €2. Quilting is not big in my country. Unfortunately my friends seem to be mostly done having babies!

5 Likes

Excited to start binding them all tomorrow.

2 Likes

I wonder if you’ve a domestic violence shelter in your town. They might be open to donations of quilts for women and children who have to seek shelter with very few possessions.

2 Likes

The biggest request for quilts in our city are to police. They give them to children who are traumatized by accidents, domestic violence, etc. I know they carry them in their patrol cars. If you don’t have such a program, maybe you can suggest it! They are small quilts…some are just little for the child to hang onto something…others are larger for them to be wrapped in for security.

5 Likes

That’s an amazing place to donate too!

1 Like

Yes, I should have the 2024 Quiltalong up and running later today.

Last year, we focused the monthly prompts on learning new skills/techniques (or honing those techniques if people were already familiar them). Any ideas for our 2024 prompts?

6 Likes

I don’t have any specific ideas for this next year, but I did want to say that you’ve done an absolutely amazing job with this Craftalong. It’s such a joy. Thank you for running it for all of us.

5 Likes

Here, police have teddy bears in their cars for that purpose! I’ll do a bit more searching tomorrow, but as far as I know, the local domestic violence and homeless shelters have a cash-only donation policy. They encourage people to sell their handmade things themselves and donate the proceeds. There is an organisation who used to give them to new parents in difficult circumstances but they stopped accepting anything handmade during the pandemic. The local charity shop does accept them, they sell a lot of handmade things, but everything they sell is less than €5. Somehow donating something for free feels better than seeing it sold for €2 or €3.

3 Likes

awww–that is sweet, too…I hate seeing children in distress! Anything we can do to comfort them now will make life easier for them later.

I almost would rather donate or give something away than to see it sold for so cheap!

2 Likes