Quiltalong - 2023

The black frame really makes it all pop. and the pink ties it all together. Win!

1 Like

Ooh, which fabric will you be getting? I know you had talked about making a jelly roll quilt a few months ago, but I can’t remember if you had the fabric for it. Will your birthday fabric be for that, or will it be for a different quilt pattern?

@MistressJennie, you never cease to amaze me! I am so impressed that you managed to just whip this up! I love that you will be donating it for a sick child. This will definitely bring cheer to any hospital room!

4 Likes

I got the farbics to try to make this quilt in a lip quilt size. I think I should try to make a jelly roll first, just to get some experience under my belt.

2 Likes

It’s really cute! I love how you used every color in that print throughout the quilt.

1 Like

That came out so nicely! The black makes it look very smart, cute but not cutesy.

2 Likes

That moment when you’re chain piecing 30 4-Patch blocks, you get to the end and realize that you ran out of bobbin after block 8…. :sob:

3 Likes

oh no! At least you don’t have to rip out anything…

1 Like

Nooo :confounded:. I definitely feel your pain on that one!

1 Like

I got two of these put together today over nap time, and the border cut for them, and some black solid blocks cut for two more kid quilts that will use up some rainbow 9-Patch blocks.

How cute is this hot air balloon print?!?

8 Likes

Love those colors and that print is darling.

2 Likes

-I **marionberries ** , submit this as my November BOM entry.

And the last square for my DD’s quilt. Now for the sashing, etc.

Here are all the blocks. If I canfind the time I will make.a.mini quilt for her puppy Pippa. Half is upside down so when it is on your lap, you see thing from the.right perspective.

11 Likes

That is going to be a very engaging quilt! So many fun and interesting blocks! I love the mountain and the puppy!

2 Likes

I went to a small quilt show last week, here’s some of the lovely items of work that were displayed

Definitely not my work!!

6 Likes

Back in 2007 I made a baby quilt for a coworker. I didn’t have a pattern and was just making it up as I went along. As a result, I bought random amounts of fabric and just cut it all and made strip sets without doing any quilt math. But one of the cuts got messed up, so I was missing strip of pink. The extra blocks and scraps sat in my stash till last year. In between projects I finished as many blocks as I could with the original fabric, then pulled another pink from stash to finish the rest. I ended up with 39 9-patches.

Over the weekend I cut some black blocks, and today I managed to piece them into two baby quilt tops, one 6x6 and one 6x7. I think I’m going to add a skinny black border, then a wider yellow one, because yellow is the center of the 9-patches.

They will get put aside till after the holidays, then get finished with the other kids quilt tops I have, and get donated to Quilts for Kids.

7 Likes

Bright and cheerful quilts. They will be loved.

2 Likes

That is such a neat idea to make both sides the “up” side!

1 Like

Question for all the quilters here. I plan to try to make a quilt next year. What supplies would you say helps you the most? I have a Wish List for Christmas, and I have curved safety pins and some circle clamp things to roll up the quilt on there
I already have a cutting mat, rotary cutter, and clear ruler for cutting.
My Aunt has a big quilting machine and was supposed to set it up over my garage, but hasn’t done it yet. She still says she plans on doing it, but it’s been boxed up in my garage for almost a year now. My parents did get this for me from a friend though. So I am going to try to do some quilting with it until the big one is set up. It’s an older machine but they said it was serviced every year.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. And thanks in advance!

6 Likes

I highly suggest a walking foot. I use mine even for small projects or sewing with thicker fabrics. I got mine on Amazon for under $20 and it has held up a long time! Also, go to the Superior Threads site and read over their education section on the different threads and needles. Once I was sewing a lot, I found topstitch needles made all the difference in the world on how easy and even my quilting was. Regular thread is fine for quilting, but a good quality thread can also make the difference.

@MistressJennie also has some good tutorials on free motion quilting and binding a quilt. Start with some basic blocks (4 patch, 9 patch, etc.)…can’t wait for you to join us here!

4 Likes

How exciting!

I’ve found having a piecing foot (1/4") to be very helpful for sewing the top. You’ll need a darning/free-motion foot if you’re quilting anything other than straight lines. Those little sewing clips are great for sewing the binding. Quilting gloves! They make quilting a lot easier (I like Fons&Porter). Having a good ironing set-up is important, too. They’re not necessary, but thread snips are nice to have…they’re just a little more ergonomic than scissors.

5 Likes

New project and for once all new fabrics!

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/show-off-your-latest-craft-supplies/8246/2000?u=marionberries

4 Likes