Quiltalong - 2024

Beautifully done! I thought you had bound it…lol…your countertop makes a good binding!

3 Likes

-I MistressJennie, submit this as my VERY Late BOM entry. (July 2023)

-I MistressJennie , submit this as my VERY Late BOM entry. (August)

I made two more blocks for my sampler, to try to even out the blocks I didn’t care for. I hope to start piecing the top tomorrow.

@AudiobookLover, if this is loo late to submit these blocks, no worries. :blush:

8 Likes

Love both of these. Vibrant and lovely.

1 Like

I am challenging myself creatively this year in so many fun ways so I am excited to part of this journey.

My quilty goals are:

• Quilt and bind the scrap cat quilt :white_check_mark:
  • Quilt and bind the live boldly quilt
  • Quilt and bind the calm shell quilt :white_check_mark:
  • Quilt and bind the spring picnic quilt :white_check_mark:
  • Quilt and bind the star quilt
  • Piece the hello spring quilt :white_check_mark:
  • Make Lisa the Unicorn Wall Hanging :white_check_mark:
  • Make an Alison Glass Quilt- Pieced not quilted
  • Participate in a QAL :white_check_mark:
  • 30 blocks in 30 days challenge
  • Piece the flamingo quilt from Elizabeth Hartman :white_check_mark:
  • Piece a quilt kit- Fireflies :white_check_mark:
  • Make a naughty kinky quilt

Hopefully I can work on one a month!

7 Likes

Trying to figure out sashing and cornerstones now. I’m considering doing bright cornerstones with black sashing so the designs within each block ‘float’. Meanwhile I probably have enough color + black leaders and enders to make a pieced border. The question is, am I that crazy?

9 Likes

How is that even a question? GO! Do it, it’ll be fabulous! This is looking amazing.

2 Likes

First of all, I love seeing blocks, no matter what the time frame…I don’t think it is ever too late to post blocks…sometimes the timing is perfect to make a past block!

Secondly, your sampler quilt is fabulous for sure! I love the arrangement and all of the different patterns that blend so nicely!

Looks like I have no where near enough black to start piecing the sashing bits. I need 40 2.5"x12.5" strips for the sashing, then another 12 2.5"xWOF strips to do the inner border and binding. I only have enough to cut about 12-16 of the sashing pieces, so I just ordered a bolt of black from Joann’s, for curbside pickup. …Along with the batting I’ll need to do all 3 quilts, and some stuff for Ada’s upcoming birthday party.

The fabric was on sale from $10 per yard down to $8. But if you buy a bolt (of 8 yards), you get an extra %15 off. Then they had a coupon code for 20% off your online pickup order, so all in all I got it for $5.43 per yard for Kaufman Kona quilting cotton. There’s enough to finish my top, back the quilt, and have about 3.5 yards leftover for some of the upcoming kids quilts I’ve got planned.

It’s wayyyyyy too cold to go do the pickup today. It’s currently 0 degrees, with a wind chill of -19. I will probably go pick it up on Wednesday when it’s up in the 20’s. Since I can’t move forward with this top today, looks like it’s time to pull out the Halloween quilt and figure out what I want to do with that one now, while I wait for the black fabric…

4 Likes

It’s not even cold here and I have no energy to even start a project! You seem to be the energizer bunny of quilts!

I hate that I have to stop piecing this top, and switch gears. I really want to just move forward with this one, to have another top pieced. I need all 3 pieced, so I can then sandwich and quilt them all at the same time, because sandwiching a lap size+ quilt means moving my dining table to lay them out. I’d rather just do that once for a while! LOL

2 Likes

I am going to cut and piece a disappearing 9 patch today to try and make the pattern that @marionberries made for her grandchild. I have drawn myself instructions and hope that I don’t mess it up. I have not been very productive or attentive to details…I think I am just a bit overwhelmed with my duties as caregiver to my husband…I did not realize how much he really does around the house and taking care of our cats…I am exhausted physically and mentally, but I need a crafting break!

The worst thing is that the cuts turn into a scrappy quilt, right? :laughing:

3 Likes

Ok, the Halloween blocks were pulled out, and laid out and swapped about. I always knew I wanted to make at least 1 more, to try to even out some of the colors. I wasn’t sure if I was going to use Linda’s awesome witch hat, or use that in it’s own wall quilt, because it’s so extra amazing. But with this layout, I have one diagonal (top left to bottom right) with black backgrounds, and the other diagonal with white backgrounds. The three pumpkin blocks seem evenly distributed, and the two Economy block units don’t feel too close to each other. So I think I’m going to try to make the January Barrister’s Block, in very strategic color choices, to fill in the empty space, then start piecing that one. I have the sashing, and I think I have enough of something to do borders and backing.

7 Likes

@AIMR you know the dissapearing 9 patch will work…and will be fun!

@MistressJennie its so fun to see these blocks come together at last. The Halloween and that amazing colorful one. Yummy.

I’m coaching my daugher on beginning quilting. She has a sewing background but hasn’t sewn in years sincer her old machine broke. We sent her her grandma’s old Pfaff. All metal. But it needs a good cleaning, it’s freezing up.

6 Likes

Now I want to definitely do a Halloween quilt! I love all of the fabrics…and the colors you picked with the black are just so perfect. I also like how you arrange the blocks on the diagonal to “match”…careful planning like that is what makes your quilts come together so beautifully!

2 Likes

I see all these amazing squares adn want to try everything! I finished up the project I was on, so I am going to tackle rearranging my craft room to set up the new machine and start on my Halloween quilt. I can tell I am procratinating because I am so nervous. Quilting is intimidating!

2 Likes

I can honestly say I hadn’t given it any thought before, lol. Let’s limit the late BOM entries to the BOMs of the same year (though they can still be entered for other prompts they may fulfill - monthly prompt, small personal finish, completed goal, etc). I will update that it in the BOM info.

I love that you were able to find some of the older BOMs to work for your quilt. I’m a big fan of the Alison Glass “Cross Stitch” fabric you used in your green blocks. It’s such a versatile blender.

I love both of your quilts! I’ve found that sometimes a black background can make all the colors pop too much, almost like they’re glowing neon on the black. But that is so not the case with your quilt. You’ve done a beautiful job with fabric and block choices as well as the composition!

I’m with @AIMR, now I want to do a Halloween quilt too. The funny thing is, I already have a Halloween quilt in the works, but mine is just a patchwork quilt made up of Halloween colored charm squares. Yours is soo much more and very inspiring!

4 Likes

@Mvanrh11, it sounds like you’ve got quite a few quilt tops that are already pieced! Do you plan on quilting them yourself? If so, do you have a go-to pattern that you like to use?

@marionberries, that sounds like a good bonding experience with your daughter. Are you guys doing video chat sessions?

@gozer, I’ve seen your sewing skills and they’re impressive. I think you’re going to be a quilting natural! Are you planning on doing the actual quilting yourself?

1 Like

@AudiobookLover yes. I have a small quilting/sewing machine that was given to me. Also, my aunt has a long-arm machine thing-a-mabob. Originally. she asked to set it up in the room above my garage and said I could use it. It’s been two years. I have finished the room and upgraded the stairs, but she has yet to set it up. I hope that if I get the quilt top done, she will set it up and show me how to use it. If not, I have the other machine.

1 Like

I was just looking at the purse you made. I think if you can do all that, you’ve got quilting in the bag :wink:.

I have never done any sort of fancy free motion quilting on my sewing machine, but I have done some straight line quilting on my I-Spy quilts. The most difficult issue I run into is the weight of the quilt. I try to combat it by keeping the bulk of the quilt on the table rather than letting it drape over the other side (I have also copied a ‘weightless quilter’ concept that is like a helping hand to hold the quilt so it doesn’t drape, but I’ve yet to try my setup). The quilting gloves also help because they give me a grip on the quilt rather than it just being slippery under my fingers as I run it under the machine. The other thing that helps me with straight line quilting (and I’m using that term loosely, because I can’t sew a straight line to save my life) is a walking foot.

If you’re interested in doing free motion quilting, here is a helpful diagram and information on how @MistressJennie does hers and here is a post with FMQ tips and tricks.

For either free motion quilting or long arm quilting (without a computerized component), there are also fabric panels that you can purchase that have quilt designs printed on them so that you can learn and practice various free motion designs. Or, another product that I just came across is tear away quilting paper that you can get in a variety of designs. You baste the paper to the top of the quilt, quilt over the design, tear away the paper, and voila! you’ve quilted your quilt!

4 Likes

WHAT??!! There are so many things that I have never heard of or even dreamed existed! Thank you. I am going to look into all that.

1 Like