Quiltalong - 2024

Little Shop of Horrors foundation paper pieced jacket by @Edel

Welcome to the 2024 Quiltalong! As you can see from the picture above, we aren’t just about making traditional quilts here. This is our space to discuss all things quilty. Regardless of whether you’ve never made a quilt or you’ve made 50, if you are interested in quilting, this is the place for you! This group consists of quilters of all levels and we are here to encourage and support each other along each of our quilting journeys.

There are a variety of ways to participate in this craftalong. You’re welcome to just hang out, enjoy some quilt-related chatting, & share progress pics of your latest creation. You are also welcome to complete our prompts, challenges, and/or Blocks of the Month, as well as sharing and completing your quilt goals - all of which will give you a chance to win prizes! Prizes will range from Amazon gift cards to a quilting supply. The more tickets you earn, the better your chance of winning the quarterly challenge prize (provided by AudiobookLover).

Prompts: Each month there will be an inspirational prompt. The prompts this year will include colors and shapes. The first half of the year will focus on colors and the second half on shapes.

For the color prompts, the monthly color needs to be highlighted. This can be done in a variety of ways. For example, if the color is red, you could do a black and white quilt block with a pop of red. You could do a block made up of red scraps. You could make a mug rug that you quilt with red thread. Just have fun and make the monthly color shine!

When you complete a prompt, you will be given 2 tickets into our quarterly prize drawing.

Challenges: Each quarter (every 3 months) we will host a challenge. You can enter one item of each size (small, medium, or large) to earn tickets for the challenge. You are not required to do the actual quilting yourself in order to enter a project (ie. so long as you pieced the top together, it does not matter if you send your quilt out to a longarmer, you can still enter it as a challenge entry). Challenge entries can be any quilted project from a mug rug all the way up to a king sized quilt.

Personal Finish: Why be limited by the prompts and challenges? Every finish deserves to be celebrated! Each quarter, you can enter one item of each size (small, medium, or large) to earn tickets. This includes everything from quilt blocks to completed quilts.

Project Sizes
Small: Something that takes you less than 10 hours to sew and quilt. (2 ticket)
Medium: Something that takes you 10-20 hours to sew and quilt. (3 tickets)
Large: Something that takes you 20 or more hours to sew and quilt. (4 tickets)

Group Nominated Block of the Month (BOM): Each month, we will have a new member nominated block that you can complete using your own fabric choices. You have the option of creating the specific BOM featured for the month or submitting a similar looking block that is created more within your skill level or finishes at your preferred size.

The goal of the BOM is to have enough blocks by the end of the year to create a nice sized quilt top (that you can then show off to everyone here in the Quiltalong!). If you complete the BOM during the month it is hosted, you will earn 2 tickets. You can also earn 1 ticket by completing the monthly block outside of it’s hosted month, so long as it’s within the same year (ie. if you complete the March 2024 block during the month of March 2024, you get 2 tickets. If you complete the March 2024 block during a different month of 2024, you get 1 ticket).

Goal List: Please share your quilty goals for this quarter. For each goal that you accomplish, you will receive an extra ticket to the Quiltalong prize drawing. This can be in combination with other tickets that you may earn with your quilted project. For example, on your list of goals you have “Complete 2024 BOM quilt.” Once you complete this goal (and post it as a ticket entry), you will earn a ticket to the prize drawing. You can also submit your 2024 BOM quilt as a personal finish or prompt/challenge entry.

How to Post an Entry: To enter a Prompt, Challenge, Personal Finish, BOM, or Goal List project for a ticket entry, please use the appropriate header below, at the start of your post:
-I your name, offer your item for month’s prompt
-I your name, offer your item for my small/medium/large (pick one) challenge entry.
-I your name, offer your item for my small/medium/large (pick one) personal finish.
-I your name, submit this as my (late/current) (BOM month) BOM entry.
-I your name, submit your goal for my goal list entry.

Helpful Hints & Tips

11 Likes

This year, our monthly prompts will consist of colors and shapes. The first half of the year will focus on colors and the second half on shapes. If you’ve ever wanted to make a rainbow quilt, this is the year to do it!

For the color prompts, the monthly color (or a varitation of that color) needs to be highlighted. This can be done in a variety of ways. For example, if the color is red, you could do a black and white quilt block with a pop of red. You could do a block made up of red scraps. You could make a mug rug that you quilt with red thread. Just have fun and make the monthly color shine!

January Prompt:
Red
From maroon to pink, if it falls within the red spectrum, it will work for this prompt!

February Prompt:
Orange
From rust to peach, if it falls within the orange spectrum, it will work for this prompt!

March Prompt:
Yellow
From canary to gold, if it falls within the yellow spectrum, it will work for this prompt!

April Prompt:
Green
Lime, hunter, forest…if it falls within the green spectrum, it will work for this prompt!

Quarter 1 Challenge
(January 1 - March 31)
Ombre:
Having colors or tones that shade into each other (MW). Create a quilt project that incorporates an ombre effect.

Quarter 2 Challenge
(April 1 - June 30)
Upcycle:
Reuse fabric that originally started life with a different purpose and incorporate into a quilt project. Old clothes, bed sheets, table cloths, there are so many possibilities. Create a quilt using at least 25% upcycled fabric. Remember, you can opt to make a small, medium, and/or large.

6 Likes

BLOCK OF THE MONTH (BOM):
You have the option of creating the specific BOM featured for each month or submitting a similar looking block that is created more within your skill level or finishes at your preferred size.

January:

Barrister’s Block - nominated by AudiobookLover
Tips & Tricks for completing this block by @MistressJennie

OR

Crossroads Block
Step by step pictures

February:

Raspberry Cheesecake Block - nominated by @MistressJennie
Raspberry Cheesecake Block coloring sheet - this link also includes instructions for making the block using a different method (the ‘diamond in a square’ units are created with flying geese, hence the seams on the blue diamonds above).

March:

Triple Star - nominated by @marionberries

April:

Bloom Where You Are Planted - nominated by @gozer
Video Tutorial
This block finishes at 10", but can be turned into a 12" block with the addition of 1" borders on each side.

May:

Amish Star - nominated by @skrutt
Video Tutorial

9 Likes

Welcome to the 2024 Quiltalong!

Changes this year:
The amount of tickets you can earn for the quarterly drawings have changed slightly. This year a small = 2 tickets, medium = 3 tickets, and a large = 4 tickets and completing the monthly prompt is now worth 2 tickets. Other than that, I think everything is pretty much the same. We still have prompts, challenges, BOMs, and you can also earn tickets by submitting personal finishes and completing goals that you’ve set for yourself.

This year, our monthly prompts will consist of colors and shapes. The first half of the year will focus on colors and the second half on shapes. If you’ve ever wanted to make a rainbow quilt, this is the year to do it!

For the color prompts, the monthly color (or a varitation of that color) needs to be highlighted. This can be done in a variety of ways. For example, if the color is red, you could do a black and white quilt block with a pop of red. You could do a block made up of red scraps. You could make a mug rug that you quilt with red thread. Just have fun and make the monthly color shine!

January Prompt:
Red
From maroon to pink, if it falls within the red spectrum, it will work for this prompt!

Quarter 1 Challenge
(January 1 - March 31)
Ombre:
Having colors or tones that shade into each other (MW). Create a quilt project that incorporates an ombre effect.

Goal List:
Please share your first quarter goals with us. You can earn an entry into the prize drawing for every goal you share and complete this quarter!

January BOM:

Barrister’s Block - nominated by AudiobookLover
Tips & Tricks for completing this block by @MistressJennie

OR

Crossroads Block
Step by step pictures

You have the option of creating the specific BOM featured for each month or submitting a similar looking block that is created more within your skill level or finishes at your preferred size.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for putting all of this together! You’re a star (one of those complicated foundation pieced ones)

My quilting goals, are mostly just people to make quilts for and finish some WIP

1-quilt for Maya done
2-housewarming quilt done
3-baby quilt
4-create a foundation pieced quilt block
5-finish hand quilted QAYG quilt (WIP for 20years or so!)
6-finish hypothetical grandbaby quilt.
7-second house warming quilt if Y gets a house this year.
8- quilt for ger done
9- finish postcards from Sweden done

Edit 3 April. This list is my full years goals. So I’m actually really pleased that I’ve completed 4 go me!!

7 Likes

Yay for another year of the Quiltalong!

First quarter goals:
-Piece my 2023 BOM quilt top
-Complete my 2023 BOM quilt
-Piece my Halloween quilt top
-Complete my Halloween quilt
Edit 1/9/24:
-Piece my 2021 BOM quilt top (black & rainbow)
-Complete my 2021 BOM quilt

Yearlong goal: Channel my inner Edel and complete as many quilts as possible by sewing through as much fabric in my stash as I can. I’m allowing myself to buy fabric to complete something that utilizes stash, but not buy new fabric for new projects (outside of possibly some D&D fabric for a quilt for Jim.)

8 Likes

Ahh… goals for 2024. I’m winging it right now. Newly retired and I am just cruisin’ along and feeling my way.

*Lap quilts for the Laps Full of Love group. These are for aging members of our lesbian community. So many women do not have the family support in their later years, especially this age group, we came out in a much less accepting time. Next one will be blues with a pop of color for the color of the month…maybe.
*Keep making the BOMs. They end up in a quilt at some point! I don’t really like this month’s BOM…probably because of all the little hst. :grin:
*Finish the art quilt I started and abandoned.
*Make the other art quilt I just designed. I think this one maybe a donation for our church’s auction or craft fair.
*Any other project that wanders in to my brain and distracts me.

5 Likes

Is Jan 1st quarter?
In any case, my goals this year:
Join the local guild, meet Karen Brown
Baby quilt for M
Quilt from my Auntie’s plaids
Mementos from plaid scraps
Quilt for camper
Buy nothing except batting & backing
Save to pay the longarm quilter

5 Likes

I’ll be totally jealous if you get to meet Karen.

3 Likes

My plan for meeting her is ALL about you! You’re the reason I even know about her at all!

4 Likes

I recently found a Facebook group called Scrap Happy Quilters. Lots of fun and ideas!

-I marionberries, offer Finley’s Quilt* for my small personal finish.

This came together quickly and is now one of my favorite baby quilts.

In the picture of the other three boys at the end of the post are the other three quilts.

6 Likes

Gozer’s First Quarter Goals.

• Set up new sewing machine.
  • Make a block in the color of the month.
  • Quilt a mug rug on my new machine to figure out freehand quilting on it.
  • Quilt a mat for Tipsy’s food.

Second Quarter Goals.

• Make a throw-sized paneled Halloween quilt top.

2024 Goals

• Seam rip and resew heart patchwork ottoman over.
  • Make Dear Stella Boo! Quilt for myself.
  • Quilt at least four mats for Tipsy’s food bowl.
  • Cut scraps into 5" or 2.5" squares after sewing projects.
3 Likes

I want to finish so many quilts I started over the last few years and just never finished!

My plans for 2024:

1. Quilt for baby Emery
  2. Wedding quilt for Nina
  3. Several quilted tote bags for gifts
  4. Patchwork tote bag
  5. Placemats for sister
  6. Halloween something
5 Likes

Fixed. Thanks for catching that!

1 Like

Now that all my kids quilt tops are done and bound, I’m trying to start in on turning last year’s BOM’s into a quilt. I pulled out the matching fabrics, and cut the sashing. Hoping to get a start on piecing the top while Ada sleeps.

7 Likes

Thanks for running another year of this quiltalong, @AudiobookLover!

First Quarter Goals:

1. Get squares cut for my ‘scrap’ quilt (it’s really just a 2"-postage stamp quilt because I literally ran out of scraps with the 3 previous scrap quilts)
  2. Assemble the QOV quilt top
  3. Finish blocks for the 4 economy square quilts
  4. Two quilted throw pillow covers (16")
5 Likes

I was doing a bit of cutting for my postage stamp quilt and went to throw the scraps into my small scrap bin, only to notice that the scraps are overflowing the bin…so, I organized my scrap bin. A couple pieces were big enough to add to my postage stamp quilt, but the rest are strips and crumbs. I might have to do another crumb quilt at the end of the year. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Update pictures! Five bound kids quilts. I need to rope Jim into holding them up to get better pics tomorrow so I can make a real project post.

Square Jelly Beans

Turquoise Hot Air Balloons

The backing

Rectangular Jelly Beans

Purple Hot Air Balloons

The backing

The Aristocats

And today I got most of the slashing done on my BOM quilt. I have to get one last row on, the the two outside slashing pieces, and the top will be done.

8 Likes

Here’s an absolutely terrible picture of the portion that’s done.

12 Likes

They’re all beautiful, @MistressJennie! Your BOM quilt is just so lovely. The ever-so-slightly-muted rainbow is a stunning palette.

2 Likes