Quiltalong - 2024

-I skrutt, offer this square for Januarys BOM entry

10 Likes

While I was at my mums place this last weekend, we sewed alot. And she got very curious about this BOM I was doing (and plan on doing for the rest of the year) so she wanted to make one too! And is looking forward to the next months BOM.
But I wanted to show you guys what she did.

9 Likes

-I skrutt, submit Besties mugrug for my goal list entry.

-I skrutt, submit Brother 1’s mugrug for my goal list entry.

-I skrutt, submit My mugrug for my goal list entry.

-I skrutt, submit Tiny houses for my goal list entry.

I skrutt, offer Cute mugrug for my small personal finish.

9 Likes

@MistressJennie love the orange stripe and purple sashing. Scrappy black border will frame it well.
@skrutt wild BOM. I see turtle paws or dragons! And your mum’s is wild too. I love seeing all the color combinations that just never occur to me. I am so stuck in a rut and different treatments wake me up.
And all the mug rugs and tiny houses are wonderful.

2 Likes

Your mom’s square is fantastic. It has a cool Native American feel to it, with earthy colors mixed with turquoise.

1 Like

All your mug rugs are cute and so useful. I love that little monster smiling patch!
How did is the tiny house one? Is it a wall hanging? It’s adorable. Clever use for all those buttons!

1 Like

@marionberries Thank you! :smiley: Im planning on doing a blanket for my bestie, so I will be using the BOM’s during this year, and use green, grey and black colors for it. :smiley:

@gozer I will let her know! :smiley: She will be so happy!
The tiny houses are about 31x50 cm, and yes, it is a wall hanging. Will be in my kitchen :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow, @skrutt! You are crushing your goal list!

Both yours and your mom’s BOM are fabulous! I love the color combinations in both!

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:
Hahah, yeah! I think I will plan some more advanced projects for later this year. :slight_smile:

Its so fun and a bit ironic. Because mum have been sewing as long as I remember. Clothes for the kids and such. And when she was about 40 she started for real with the quilting, and found her thing. And I have done some smaller projects before, but never thought I would want to do more quilting myself. And here I am, almost 40 and finding its pretty fun to do! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I have sewn since I was about 9. I remember in my 30’s saying I would not get into quilting because it was a rabbit hole…I never had a stash…I just bought fabric for clothing, made it, and threw out all the scraps…I was in my late 40’s when I made a quilt from a kit sent to me by Quilt for Kids. I was hooked. I started collecting fat quarters, then collections, then yardage…yes, it is fun and you can expand to other things like mug rugs, pouches, totes…I love this thread for all of the ideas and colors and…I just LOVE it!

5 Likes

the post also opened my eyes to the fact that it is not just “quilts”. I can do other, smaller projects that involve quilting to get me to that point. Thanks for sharing @skrutt !

4 Likes

@MistressJennie - the sashing really ties all the blocks together so well. It’s a stunning quilt!

@skrutt - All the mug rugs are awesome, and your BOM is gorgeous (I love green+grey).

2 Likes

Awesome job @skrutt! Your BOM is beautiful and you got so much quilting done this weekend!!!

2 Likes

Thanks!
Yeah, since mum lives one hour away, we take time to craft as much as we can! :smiley:

2 Likes

Question, is this pattern called a peanut butter quilt?

I’m not sure I understand the question… Peanut butter quilt?

The top was made of BOM’s from 2021 & 2022’s Quiltalongs, with a new one thrown in to tie it together.

2 Likes

Total newb. Is the way you put it together called that?

Huh. I’ve never heard of that quilt pattern before. It seems like this person ‘created a pattern’ out of a quilting tradition that’s been around since time immemorial. The orange pieces on my quilt are called sashing, and the purple contrast blocks are called cornerstones. Usually you’ll just hear it called ‘sashing’ among quilters. It’s a way to tie your unique blocks together, while also setting them up as separate blocks. If that makes sense. Unlike a pattern where you might want all your blocks to touch, to create a larger overall pattern.

For example, if you make a Triple Irish Chain, you make all the same block, then connect them so you get a chain or net across the whole quilt:

Usually with sashing, you are taking different blocks, then using the sashing to unite them. Sometimes they are pieced blocks, and sometimes they are solid blocks, like in @AudiobookLover’s Eye Spy Quilts.

I’m not trying to shame the pattern writer, but it seems like they wrote down a common technique as though it is their own pattern they thought up.

5 Likes

That quilt @AudiobookLover made is SO COOL.
I was trying to figure out terms. Thank you! I hadn’t heard anyone call it that, so I was curious.

2 Likes

No worries! We’re all learning new stuff all the time!

Here’s a Beginner’s Glossary:

And a more in-depth glossary:

3 Likes