Quilted Potholders

I made some quilted potholders for my sister for Christmas. They were pieced and quilted on my vintage Singer Featherweight, and bound by hand. The fabric is a jelly roll I found at a thrift store, called Midwest Modern, and white cotton percale from my stash. It turned out pretty ok for my second attempt at quilting. I definitely need to get better at stitching in the ditch. On the other hand, even though every single detail I got wrong stood out like a sore thumb to me, when my sister realized I’d made them her exact words were “You MADE these? They’re so precise!” I’m not sure why she was surprised, though, since I always make her Christmas gifts. :laughing:

11 Likes

They turned out great. I love the Amy Butler prints :slight_smile:

1 Like

And swooon…you have a vintage Singer Featherweight. I can’t justify owning another sewing machine, but those are awesome little machines!

1 Like

I really like the pattern and fabric you used

1 Like

I picked it up at Goodwill for $30. When I opened up the case, I said “Oh you beautiful thing” out loud and made a guy in the next aisle laugh. It’s a century machine, with several decades of service receipts in the case with it. Runs like a dream. Even though I already had 3 machines, there was no way I was leaving it behind.

1 Like

These are fab! what a great gift :smiley:

1 Like

Even though already said it elsewhere, must say it again. These ate lovely. Love the clean lines and the fabric choices, beautifully done!

2 Likes

They do look really great, but her reaction makes me wonder, have you given her only wonky stuff in the past? :stuck_out_tongue:
The colours of the fabric looks really nice, and the design is wonderful, really lucky sister.

1 Like

I recall your story of hand binding while driving in the car…epic!!

They turned out lovely!

I gave up stitching in the ditch years ago…another quilter told me to just do a quarter inch away from the ditch…I am much happier with the results as there was always one stitch that did NOT want to be in the ditch…ha

2 Likes

:laughing:

Possibly…

1 Like

Time to blow her mind now that your skills has increased! :smiley:

1 Like

Naw. In reality I think she just knows I’m not a quilter. In the past I’ve given her knitted/crocheted things, leatherwork, and way back in the day even things like a picnic basket made out of an old leather suitcase relined in plaid. But that’s all stuff she knows I’m good at. But she also knows I inherited my dad’s perfectionism, so I think she should have known better.

Awesome potholders! I’m a beginner and want to learn to sew something like this. I believe I could find simple patterns and sew it with my Singer 2277.
I like it when people share their works, especially, when they inspire me to do the same!
Great job!

1 Like