Rainbow Bunting

People around my neighbourhood have been displaying rainbows to cheer up kids (and adults) on their walks around during these Covid-19 social distancing times in Australia. I was going to draw one, but then I thought…Hey?! Why not work in a medium I’m really comfortable with.

When I make bunting I use a layer of interfacing between the front and back to make it nice and sturdy. I did a plain white backing so that the colours would still show through while it’s hanging in my craft studio window, it’s so cheery to look at. I cut my triangles 8 inches across the top, and they are 8 inches tall. I made the whole thing out of supplies I had at home, I even made the white bias binding from some quilting cotton.

Thank goodness for crafting at this time :hugs: Sending love to all the crafters out there over the world xx

37 Likes

Fabulous!!! I love how it looks in the window. Great idea to photograph it in a circle like that; I always have trouble photographing bunting.

5 Likes

Thank you :hugs:

2 Likes

Love it!

2 Likes

Wonderful!

I made three very similar buntings (with little white polka dots) ten years ago:

We use them for every birthday.
Great minds think alike, right?

10 Likes

So great! I love that you get them out every birthday :relaxed:

2 Likes

In my sewing group we make name bunting when people have babies! It’s always fun to do.

In my neighbourhood people put stuffed animals in their windows. We don’t have front yards, our windows directly face the street. Just yesterday a little girl was standing with her nose to our window, staring at the stuffed dog on the windowsill. She was standing there for quite a long time, so Mr. Imma waved at her, which startled her and she ran away. Hopefully she’s not thinking we’re mad at her for staring!

5 Likes

The name bunting sounds really sweet :slight_smile: I’d like to join a sewing group I think :thinking: but for now LC will be my sewing group :wink:

We have the teddy bears in the windows too…but I only have a tiny one in my other front window.

3 Likes

What a great idea! The kiddos and I drew rainbows for their window. I also crocheted a little rainbow which a little bear, who is sitting on window sill in our kitchen, holds in his hands. It’s so much fun for the kids to go rainbow hunting every now and then :rainbow:

4 Likes

My fave rainbow so far!

3 Likes

So cheerful and nicely done…

It makes me happy to know that we are all trying to keep each others’ spirits up during this worldwide crisis…

4 Likes

Ooh, I like those a bunch! I think I’ll add a rainbow window bunting to my list of must-do crafts for this week. I haven’t seen many window items in our neighbourhood & I’m not sure how to get the word out but I’m thinking about it!

4 Likes

That is so cheerful! I don’t live in a neighborhood, so nothing like that for me to look at. Yours made me smile!! And, bonus yay for all stash!

4 Likes

I counted 52 rainbows in windows yesterday as DH and I drove around!

4 Likes

Simple and effective - that’d definitely bring a smile to my face if I was out walking :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lovely! It looks so cheerful hanging in your window!!

2 Likes

So bright and colorful! Perfect!

2 Likes

Congrats! Your rainbow bunting is one of this week’s featured projects.

4 Likes

What a bright and happy reminder to keep your spirits up! :rainbow:

3 Likes

Thank you @kittykill and everyone else too!

I hope you are able to spread some rainbows around your neighbourhoods also :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

4 Likes