Rainbow Garter Stitch Shawl

My DS1 painted a ball of yarn about 6 years ago, and it’s been in my stash, just waiting for the perfect project all this time.

I paired it with a few balls of undyed yarn to make into a shawl for myself, so I can proudly wear his art project (he’s not really into rainbows now, so that’s why I get to keep it).

The pattern was simple - just four repeating rows after the set-up. I added some I-cord ties so that I could wrap it around and tie in the back. Though, it did come out to 91" wide without them, after blocking.

32 Likes

the colors are so soft and pretty!
What did he use to paint the yarn? Dye, or actual paint? Would you have to wrap all the yarn single layer around some kind of structure, or just wrap into a hank?

I paint ribbon and floss fairly often, but nothing like a full ball of yarn…

2 Likes

That turned out beautifully! Great way to show off the hero color.

1 Like

I love the combo of the color and the neutral. An excellent use of special yarn!

1 Like

Very nice! I like that you kept it simple, to really show off the colored yarn.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone!

@steiconi - I first made the yarn into a hank, then he used different colors of food coloring (mixed with vinegar and water) to ‘paint’ the yarn. I think we used a large syringe to squirt the color on. Then, it just gets rolled up in plastic wrap and microwaved until the dye is exhausted. Let cool, rinse, dry.

2 Likes

cool, thank you! I’ve seen wool dyed with jello, too, must be a similar technique.

2 Likes

This is beautiful! The colors in the rainbow yarn are so vibrant and I’m impressed that none have the muddy color of too many dye colors in one spot. The rainbow looks beautiful against the light yarn and gives it a nice pop of color. This pattern looks to be perfect for that yarn!

1 Like

Thank you! IIRC, I advised him to not overlap colors as rolling it all up would kind of squish them together. There are a few places where orange and green came together to make something weird, but it mostly worked.

3 Likes

This is so pretty! I really like how the narrow stripes against the neutral color really makes the most of you kiddo’s yarn.

1 Like

Very pretty! It’s nice you were able to use his project yarn.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m curled up in it now and it is so soft and cozy. :heartpulse:

1 Like

It’s stunningly beautiful, those bright but soft hues. I love it.

1 Like

It is such a lovely piece of art to be able to wear. The neutral was an excellent choice to offset the colour.

1 Like

Thank you! All the yarn was in my stash, too!

1 Like

The colors are beautiful. I love the soft color change.

2 Likes

That looks so pretty and squishy! The combination with the neutral works so well!

1 Like

Oh my goodness! This looks so soft and cozy. I am jealous and love the neutral with the rainbow. I very well may have to make myself something similar.

1 Like

This is absolutely beautiful! And lovely that it is a joint project!

1 Like

Thank you! :heart: