Rainbow moda village quilt

this was originally going to be just a stash bust, but the longer i invested my time in to it the more i knew that i needed this quilt to go to a home that i would be able to see it loved at.
one of my local quilt shops (that has recently turned in to my employer!) was hosting a sew along pre-shut down, and after much fabric debate i decided to work my way through my kona scraps leftover from various paper piecing projects.
i kept the doors all shades of gray to unify the homes together through their broad variety of colors. after a great debate of how to quilt it, i found that the long arm cohort i rent from had this great vine stitch, which reminded me of madeline’s house in paris. sold.
despite all the fun i was having on the front, it needed a back. so i made the recipient (a good friend of mine from high school) an orange house and myself a blue one with two cats in our yards to go along with the other chaos of this total stashbust of a back. she’s a big SF giants fan, which having the baseball fabric patched in helped add some of her personal interest to the otherwise tonal background (and her house being orange, really)

i would absolutely make this quilt again, and recommend it to anyone looking for a great project! the trickiest part was dealing with the roofs (both the chimney ones as well as when it came to trimming down) but it was easy to knock out a dozen houses or so in one short sitting.
this wasn’t started as a “shelter in place” relief quilt, but it will sure signify that moment in our lives for sure.

21 Likes

This is a very fun quilt, I’ll have to show it to my mom, she used to collect houses.
The back is very cool too, and I love the tiny kitties.

1 Like

This is so fun! I have this pattern or one like it, but haven’t gotten more.than just occasionally piecing some houses. I love the kitties on the back and the personal touches. So fun!

I have a neighbor up the road that a couple years ago built their home and it has a blue outside and orange door.

I’m sure your friend will cherish forever!

1 Like

Wow, this is beautiful. I’m sure your friend will cherish it.

1 Like

This is so lovely and thoughtful. :blue_heart:

1 Like

This is so beautiful and vibrant! I love it so much. I also really like the backing (Patchwork quilt backs are so much more fun than one solid color!) and the way you were able to personalize it for your friend.

We’re the houses traditionally pieced or paper pieced?

2 Likes

Lovely quilt! So much work- she’s sure to love it!!

1 Like

Love this so hard! The little kitties are to die for.

1 Like

Love the front. Love the back. I love to see a back that is as beautiful as the front. And I love HOUSES!

It’s so wonderful.

1 Like

How fun! Love all the colors.

1 Like

Congrats! Your Rainbow Village Quilt is one of this week’s featured projects. You rock!

1 Like

WOW this is a stunner! I just LOVE house imagery and the colorful rows of them on your quilt really tickle me. I love the look of the back, too, and that it’s so thoughtful and personalized makes it all the better.

1 Like

That’s a beautiful quilt!
Look at all of those happy houses!

1 Like

they’re traditionally pieced!
a few rectangles for the base, and 3 triangles for the roof :slight_smile:

1 Like

The quilt is lovely. I think I may even like the back better than the front. The cats sold it for me.

2 Likes