Rainbow Mothman Spun Cotton Doll

I made him for @RagingSloth for the iyp swap

I started by making an aluminum foil Form, wrapped it in Masking tape, them plastered cotton fibers on it. They painted it black, then painted all the dots in white gesso, then painted with neon paints over the white dots. I cut the wings out of chipboard, wrapped in Masking tape, painted black (I was originally going to use feathers but remembered at the last second my partner is vegan, whew, close call on that one) , and glued on some faux fur. (I’d probably sew the fur next time, might have been easier) poked holes for the limbs and went through a ton of chenille stems before I got the shape of the legs/arms right. They turned out awesome! I went through four or five different eye options before picking these gems! I also make banners for him to hold out of alphabet beads and chenille stems.

23 Likes

Oh, that is wicked fun!

1 Like

He is awesome!

1 Like

You are so creative from start to finish!

1 Like

The faux fur wings are incredible! Glad you are weird to imagine such a colorful creature and figure out how to make it come about! Just love it!

1 Like

Omg so wonderful. I love the little eyelash/brow tufts.

1 Like

That is so fun and bright and weird. Love it!

1 Like

He is delightfully spectacular! :smiley: And yes, his fluffy limbs are the perfect shapes. I expect she was thrilled!

1 Like

This is amazing!

1 Like

So wonderfully weird! So creepily cute! So cleverly creative!

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I’ve sure been thinking what other cryptid can I rainbowfy

1 Like

Very fun!

1 Like

So bright and colorful and amazing!!!

1 Like

Well, would you just take a look at that! :star_struck: This crafted-up awesomeness is a Featured Project this week. CONGRATS! :confetti_ball:

1 Like

Oh my gosh, this is amazeballs. Truly, weird and wonderful, wow!

1 Like

This is so incredibly cool and creative!! Amazing piece - and thank you for sharing your process too!

1 Like