Reclaimed for Pride!

My partner really likes the skull from the Punisher, and his sister got him a nice metal version from an etsy seller. He was disappointed to learn, however, that the symbol has been coopted by certain hate and oppression groups. He decided the best way to reclaim it was to ask me to make it a symbol of allyship!

I painted the flag with some old, tiny pots of deco art acrylic and struggled mightily to get the textures uniform, so if I do anything else like this I’ll have to treat myself to more paint first. :grin:

Thanks for looking! Happy PRIDE, y’all!

25 Likes

Aww, I love this! Give him a hug from my family, please. Having advocates is so important for the kids & seeing representation out there in the world makes such a difference in helping them feel seen, heard, accepted & safe.

You did a bang up job with this, the placement is great & the texture of the paint looks really cool.

4 Likes

Awesome job painting, you can’t tell you had any struggles with the application! I definitely appreciate reclaiming the meaning of the symbol in a beautiful way. Happy Pride!

3 Likes

This is AWESOME!

3 Likes

That’s the coolest one I’ve seen. I usually see these on trucks that also sport the NRA stickers and those “nuts” minus Pride.
Oh that reminds me I need to put out my flag for June!

4 Likes

Very much improved! The painting looks great.

I don’t always keep up with what popular symbol has been coopted by which political group, so good to know this about the Punisher symbol. I remember back in the days when the colour of the shoelaces of your Dr. Martens had a meaning, but the meaning of those colours wasn’t universally accepted! So it could be risky to wear them.

3 Likes

A bandana could get you suspended from school for wearing gang colours :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The proper supplies make things so much easier. You did a great job recreating this.

2 Likes

Amazing. I love everything about this!!

2 Likes

I remember a similar thing in high school about having a pant leg rolled up, but I never was in the know.

3 Likes

I love this! :rainbow:

3 Likes

Beautiful rendition! :heart:

3 Likes

Yeah for reclaiming symbols from hate-mongers!! You did a great job!

5 Likes

Yay for you and your brother, reclaiming the symbol! I love the rainbow you painted!

4 Likes

What a great idea! You did a wonderful job with the painting.

3 Likes

Very nice reclaim. :rainbow_flag:

2 Likes

Love it! Happy Pride! :rainbow::transgender_flag::heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart:

3 Likes

Great idea to pride it up!!! I love the diagonal line you chose for the composition. Very amazing!

2 Likes

Looks great!!

It’s pretty shitty that this logo has co-opted by “police lives matter”/blue line people. People who probably have never read a Punisher comic in their lives.

3 Likes