Recovered box from the salvage yard

Most times when I go to the salvage yard they have old wooden cutlery boxes. From when people had silverware “for best”.

Being a sucker for a wooden box, I picked up this one. It was plain wood with a moulded plastic insert to hold knives and forks etc.

I ripped out the plastic liner added in a few panel pins to stabilise the base that was coming off. Then gave it a couple of coats of white paint.

I used spray glue and a bit of futzing to line it and add the fabric to the top. The green lining is a piece of vintage woollen blanket that i dyed years ago. These blankets were the standard bed covering in the days before duvets.

The fabric for the top, I bought in Joanne’s when we were in the US in 2017

I’m not sure what I’ll use it to store yet, but it’ll be a nice addition to my craftroom shelves.

13 Likes

Yahoo for giving new life to this fab box!

2 Likes

I’m also a sucker for nice boxes! Great idea covering the top with fabric.

2 Likes

It looks so fancy now!

1 Like

I love the lining in particular! How did you dye it? What was the original colour of the blanket?

1 Like

The blanket is a pure wool one and would have had a similar colour to the blue one in the pic below, I think I used a regular woollen dye (it was years ago)

b5912f2be632a7e6686b2f0fd3b95e98--vintage-blanket-bed-blankets

1 Like

So the line pattern was done by you? I’d never be able to dye such straight lines. My grandparents all used to have these blankets, I think I remember a plaid one in a similar colour scheme as your dyed one. I would never have thought to use a woollen blanket for this purpose but it looks like it was always meant for this box.

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t explain myself clearly. The original blanket would have been like the photo (they photo I thought I was referring to had a pink blanket as well) with the lines. I just over dyed it.

The dyeing is ready, you just need to remember not to agitate it much or it will felt. I pick up these blankets when I see them in charity shops. Generally I use them for the wadding layer of some of the quilts I make.

2 Likes

This is marvelous! I love that blanket lining, just love it!

1 Like

Wow, what a great makeover!

1 Like

Nice save! I have a thing for squirreling away wooden boxes and what you did with your find is wonderful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wonderful updo of that silver box!