Retro Fashion Girl Minis - Gelli Print & Gouache

For the recent 4x6 art swap, I wanted to play with my new gelli press and stencils. I started with a blue background as blues are my favorite and then decided to try my hand at some stylized fashion sketches based on old dress patterns and magazine ads. One piece turned into three with a seasonal theme. (Summer is still to come!)

All three together:

Winter:

Autumn:

Spring:

The girls are painted in gouache. I cut each out and glued her to the background with a thin piece of felt inbetween to add some dimension.

17 Likes

These are loaded with charm. Your paintings are just great and they’re highlighted so well agains the gelli prints! So clever to use the felt to give them that extra dimension and add that nice shadowline.

4 Likes

They are lovely - you’ve really capture the retro feel with the colours and poses!

2 Likes

Hooray for vintage! These are so charming! I love them, and the felt was a great idea!

2 Likes

These are great and the little piece of felt is a great idea to pop them off the page!

3 Likes

I love the energy and colors of these, and the female figures are charming AF! Beautiful work!

2 Likes

This is so fun to see them all together and I get to have the spring one living at my house!

3 Likes

You’re really good at this retro style!

1 Like

Your gelli backgrounds are super cool and I love the rendering of the vintage ladies as well.

1 Like

Thank you! I 100% blame you for my current retro obsession. :rofl: I fell down a rabbit hole looking for inspiration for your art pieces.

1 Like

Well, I suppose I’ve been blamed for worse things than that!

1 Like

These are amazing! I have no idea what any of the materials you used are, but they worked well.

When making layered paper pieces, you can use double-sided adhesive dots to give more dimension as it raises the layers from each other. Would that work on these?

1 Like

I use glue dots frequently and love them! For this I wanted more coverage and a slighter lift so stiff craft felt fit the bill.

2 Likes