Retro floral blouse

This is from a Dutch sewing magazine from a couple of years back. I usually draft my own patterns but I was feeling lazy last year and used this pattern without any adaptations. It’s been in the pile next to the sewing machine ever since because I felt it wasn’t good enough. I finished it, it’s comfortable and I will wear it but I won’t use the pattern again. I used about 1m of 100% cotton fabric from stash.

17 Likes

That came out really lovely!

1 Like

This is very nice! I like the look of the collar.

1 Like

I think it’s really pretty and the style does suit you

1 Like

What didn’t you like about the pattern? It looks very polished and fits well. The floral print is lovely with your skirt.

1 Like

Maybe I’m a bit of a perfectionist, but I don’t really like how it fits where the lower part of the sleeve meets the bust. I think it’s a little bit too tight there. But I guess it’s still a lot better than buying confection. My sewing teacher is brilliant with these kind of things, but of course there are no classes for the forseeable future.

At least you got the most critical buttonhole placed nicely…I see so many blouses gape at the bust when a simple half inch or so change would make a difference. I always adjust the other buttonholes based on that first important bustline buttonhole!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s so important! The most beautiful blouse from the most expensive fabric is going to look sloppy when the buttonholes are in the wrong places. I always stand in front of the mirror, pin the critical buttonhole first, then I pin the top button and I go from there. I think I put one extra button on compared to the original pattern. The plain white buttons are from stash and I have dozens of them so I just went with what looked best.

1 Like

I think it looks lovely! The collar is interesting!

2 Likes

I loved that detail! But I have no idea what that’s called in English. I used this pattern: Knipmode April 2019 blouse

1 Like

I’m not great at clothes making so I might be wrong, but is it a shawl collar?

Love the blouse though, and great to finish a UFO.

1 Like

I thought it was a shawl collar as well but when I looked at the pattern, it looked like it was a regular notched collar. It could have a different option, though. It does look like it in her photos. I love shawl collars on blouses and jackets.

Very pretty! I love the retro feel to it.

1 Like

It looks beautifully made, the fabric is lovely, and the rolled collar is a nice variation.

But the sleeve length isn’t flattering, ending at and widening the bust, giving a matronly look. A deeper vee neckline would draw attention up, too.

I hope you don’t mind my saying that; it’s stuff I would notice if I tried on that blouse.

1 Like

I think it’s cute. I’d wear it.

1 Like

The sleeve length is always going to be an issue, because my upper arms look rather matronly as well :smile: And longer sleeves for a summer blouse didn’t seem very practical either.

The V neck is actually quite deep already, it’s about 4 inches down from the collarbone. I think if it’s any deeper the blouse would kind of loose it’s 1940s vibe.

2 Likes

I lived in the tropics for years, and got comfortable exposing my wobbly upper arms in sleeveless tops. Angels can fly because they have wings!

1 Like

Congrats! Your beautiful retro blouse is one of this week’s featured projects.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I wore it to the store the other day and I always notice that people are so polite when you’re dressed in retro clothing! The teens working there called me ma’am and one offered to carry some heavy items for me. Doesn’t happen when I wear boots and a band shirt!

1 Like

nice job! it looks really good on you!

1 Like