Reversible Christmas Coasters

Looks like I forgot to post these reversible Christmas coasters I made for Lynx2Lancer in the 12 Days of Christmas Swap.

They’re made with a stiff sewable interfacing between 2 pieces of quilting cotton then I use the overcast stitch on my regular sewing machine.

I’ve made several sets over the years and I love how well they hold up! I like to switch them out to match the seasons. Thanks for looking!

20 Likes

I love these!! What a great and easy way to showcase some fun fabrics!

Is it the same fabric on both sides?

4 Likes

Thank you! Different fabrics on each side but I forgot to get a picture of the backs before I sent them :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

What a great idea, and they turned out so well. Cute fabrics! The dotty one is my favorite.

3 Likes

Super cute!

3 Likes

What a great way to be festive while using/enjoying some small pieces of fabric!

3 Likes

What a clever idea for a fast, useful gift that uses up scraps. Everyone needs coasters, especially from cute fabrics.

3 Likes

I love these! How big are they?

3 Likes

I think these were either 4” or 4.5” wide.

4 Likes

I’ve never used the overlock stitch. But I love what you did with it. I might have to try this out. Thanks for the inspiration.

4 Likes

Cute! How did you find turning the corners with that stitch? Seems like that would be easier than with a serger.

3 Likes

I cheated and stopped, took it out completely, and restarted. I also have a serger and haven’t really used it but would be interested if there is a better way to do it. How would you do it with a serger?

3 Likes

Corners are hard to serge, I just wouldn’t. You have to run off the end & then have tails to deal with, it’s like weaving in yarn ends. PITA!

4 Likes

Ahh so same as what I was doing with the overcast stitch.

Oh I just reread your original message and you said easier than with a serger. I thought you said it would be easier with a serger! I’m completely self taught with sewing and wasn’t sure if there was a trick I didn’t know about :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, you did great! Clever to use the overcast stitch. There are good serger-free options on a regular machine for sure.

3 Likes

Such a smart little gift! I have one of these coasters that you sent me in a cute birdcage fabric that’s in regular use on my work desk, and it is very neat and sturdy :smile:

1 Like

These are great! You made excellent fabric choices and I LOVE anything that is reversible.

2 Likes

They are so neat and well made! Love the fabrics!

2 Likes

:star: :mermaid: Congratulations! Your superb craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :fairy: :sparkles:

2 Likes

Wow, those are beautiful coasters! I love the reversible design, and the colors are so festive.

Do you have any tips for beginners who want to make their own coasters?