Rhubarb, Blueberry, Zucchini Spread

A long long time ago, in a galaxy far and away, my mom had canned up some zucchini pineapple. Needless to say that stuck with me. Well, when I froze up a lot of my rhubarb to save as much as I can now the heat and grasshoppers are turning it into twigs, my sister was begging me for some, and I thought, maybe I can fake it like my mom did with the pineapple.

it works. By Cupid’s exhausted arms, it works beautifully.

For the rhubarb, I picked an older stalk that was fairly thin, and one that I wouldn’t necessarily use.

For the zucchini, I had a good size piece left over from the gnocchi I made. Peeled, then I cut out the center seed & pulp, as it had turned fairly soft over night. Quartered, and chopped to about 1/4 of an inch, or 7/10th’s of a centimeter.

Then I added it to a pan with enough sugar to get a hint of sweetness, along with a very tiny pinch of salt. Along with a small amount of water to help the zucchini soften. I covered the pan to cook on very low heat til the zucchini softened a tad. Uncovered the pan, and continued cooking over a little higher heat to reduce the water and finish cooking the squash.

It still had a bit of squash flavor, but once it chilled (about five hours), it no longer had a strong squash flavor, and tasted of rhubarb and blueberries.

Unfortunately, I am just as nuts for blueberries as I am for rhubarb, so I just don’t know how well it’d work fos a rhubarb substitute, :rofl:. Anyway, it’s really really good. :smiley:

10 Likes

Yummy!

Looks scrumptious.

1 Like

Ooh! I bet this is so tasty. Looks amazing.

This sounds and looks tasty! Interesting twist - adding the zucchini. What a great way to use up the rest of it!

The really neat thing about that is, I can barely taste the zucchini. Zucchini is one of those weird veggies where it will take on the flavors of whatever it’s added with. Which I knew about from oh so long ago. My mom had canned up some “zucchini pineapple”, and I remember eating that like it was candy, heh. Sure enough, I just ate two piece of the zucchini in this spread, and I can barely taste it at all. It has an almost all blueberry and rhubarb flavor to it. Plus, the texture, I’d say, is like a fresh blueberry. It’s not gooey, it’s not chewy, it’s not slimy. It’s soft, it’s nice…:no_mouth: Hoo boy! My vocabulary sucks right now, heh, but it’s not bad (Though, I don’t trust my taste buds any more, but, I don’t think they’re that dulled with this…I don’t think, anyway, heh).

1 Like

That’s really handy to know about zucchini!

Delicious!!!

:mega: Wheeeeee dawgeez! :confetti_ball: Your fantastic craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :rocket:

It looks really good - despite my lifelong dislike of rhubarb!

Wow! Genius idea! Sounds delish!

That looks really tasty!

Alrighty! This is a mental note to myself…I have two days to clean the area and bake it, but I bought a couple pie crusts…So I’m going to attempt to turn this into a pie…:smile: The only question is…How? :thinking:. There’s two methods, Uncooked fruit and zucchini, or pre-cook the fruit and zucchini, and I’m betting that I’ll have to precook the innards, as the zucchini might not soak up the flavors correctly if cooked in the pie crust. Also, I’m going to attempt to put in a lot more zucchini, so there’ll be more chew to it (Translation: Have a more apple pie like texture).

Right now my heart rate is a tad high, and am a little overly nervous, and etc…So will just have to try and work on the kitchen slowly…But if I keep going, I should be able to get to it within the two days. :crossed_fingers:

Mouthwatering goodness. The spread is luscious but I’m drawn to the perfect toast.