Rice Bag with a New Orleans Connection

When I got paired with @kittykill in the Color Box Swap, I just knew pink was going to be one of her colors…fortunately, she listed “candy colors” as well. I panicked at first, but then I remembered some fabric that I had tucked away from my trip to New Orleans a few years ago .

I went there with my husband and our good friends. I decided to explore parts of the city while they were headed to the French Quarter since I have been to the French Quarter a few times. I caught the trolley and ended up in the coolest neighborhood with neat little shops. I found a fabric shop, but, boy, it was way out of my price range but I was too embarrassed to walk out without purchasing anything. I then saw this Robert Miller fabric and knew it would be something I would use to make a nice summer yukata style robe. I bought 4 yards.

As I said, it was long ago… :grin:

Fast forward…@kittykill had a bag on her list, so I thought I would give the rice bag a try. I found a YouTube video and went to town. I loved making it and want to make a few more for my crochet projects…it is padded so it can also work to hold embroidery and other crafts!

Bag opened:

Bag with drawstring closed:

Lined with hot pink!

27 Likes

Thank you so much for my bag! I love it! I love the colors and the shape. It is just perfect!

4 Likes

Oh, this is beautiful! I love the fabric.

2 Likes

Beautiful!!

Why is it called a rice bag? Were bags of this shape used to carry rice?

3 Likes

so pretty!

1 Like

It’s gorgeous! And the lining is perfect too.

1 Like

They are called komobukuro in Japan…and yes, that translates exactly to rice bag…ha

They were used to carry dried rice and left at temples as offerings. Pretty sure the buddhist monks appreciated the rice. They were mostly made from scraps and not padded and the ties were very simple rope or fabrics…

5 Likes

ya hit the nail on the head with this one! Love the fabric and the style of bag, it’s pure perfection!!

2 Likes

This is just beautiful! It could definitely hold a multitude of craft projects. And I love the story about the fabric. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Absolutely beautiful fabric and the bag itself is so cool.

2 Likes

Gorgeous fabric…you made the perfect bag!

1 Like

So pretty!!

1 Like

What a beautiful bag! The fabric is gorgeous and the pink lining is the perfect complement! I have “Make a rice bag” on my to-do list, but it may now be bumped a little higher on the list.

2 Likes

The tutorial I watched was great! I thought it was going to be more complex, but it wasn’t! have at it!

I want to make a much larger one but with no batting or lining using boro and scraps…more traditional…

BUT, I still have three yards of this fabric left, so I might make another one for myself as well…

6 Likes

This is just lovely. I did not know about Japanese rice bags until I read your post. It sent me down a delightful Pinterest rabbit hole.

2 Likes

Lol you’ve sent rice bags viral! This is amazing, I want one too! Jumping down the rabbit hole now to find a pattern. Great job!

3 Likes

Beautiful! Lovely fabric, lovely stitching. Well done my friend.

2 Likes

Such a pretty fabric and the bag looks very well done!

2 Likes

Congrats! Your Rice Bag is one of this week’s featured projects. You are AWE-SOME!

3 Likes

What a gorgeous and functional item. I love that it’s padded for protection!

1 Like