Richard Ayoade -first try

First try at the handsome Mr. Ayoade. I used prismacolors on grey toned paper and finished with white gel pen. I feel like the glasses made proportioning his face super hard, and while I am a character artist, I’d love to have it a little more spot on… but I’ll go for recognizable! Took me a handful of hours.

17 Likes

Wow! This is great! I have such a hard time with portraiture. I kind of seem to begin and end with, “Is the hair the right color, do they have a beard, do they have glasses….?”

2 Likes

I have learned to really take the time to sketch out the proportions, even if I’m exaggerating some, even though it’s the most boring. Then I can work in shape and form and THEN my favorite bit the personality. I’m still annoyed by his lips but I’ll draw him again and take another whack.

2 Likes

I knew who this was without reading. And I love the white above his lip. His eyes have a hit of optimism. The tonal paper makes it more substantial than a sketch and adds an archival quality. It’s really good!

1 Like

Thank you! My reference photo had a pretty lighthearted expression on his face, and I thought that would help me ease in, thank you for the encouragement!

1 Like

this is fantastic!
the eyes are very expressive – well done!

2 Likes

Wow! Great detail. I love all the colors you’ve blended in the skin tones. Lovely!

2 Likes

Amazing! The highlights really bring him to life!

1 Like

I definitely knew who it was - awesome job!

1 Like

I love his doe-y soft eyes the most, I think. Oh and I see there’s an outline around the outline, nice! The paper chosen is also excellent.
My husband and I watched the Big Fat Quiz of the Year on NYE and he was one of the guests. Hilarious.

1 Like

I look forward to Big Fat Quiz every year… Except I never could find the 2022 one in the US… only the Big Fat Quiz of Everything from '22. What’s up with that? LOL

1 Like

:mega: :star2: :mega: HOT DANG! Your super cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! CONGRATZ! :mega: :star2: :mega:

1 Like

This is absolutely amazing! I instantly knew who it was from the thumbnail image. My heart screamed “MOSS!” as soon as I saw it.

I think you captured his normal serious look and a bit of mischief too.

SOOOOO great!

1 Like

Wow, completely recognisable, and great tones! you did a fantastic job with this!

1 Like

OMG, this was a thumbnail on a menu page and I knew instantly who it was! Awesome job!

1 Like