Roses and Pompoms Basket Bag

Made this for the Go Bananas swap…

… but it’s kind of a long story. My partner (the fabulous @kittykill) loves retro/vintage things and I found a cool 1940’s or 1950’s crochet pattern for a tiny, cute basket bag.

But when I ordered the instant download from a seller on eBay, I was disappointed to discover that it called for a vintage craft supply that is no longer available, a “basket bag bottom.” I searched for a basket to use, but I was trying to craft from stash and couldn’t find anything that would work. Even when I looked online, I couldn’t find anything that looked the right size and shape. Bummer!

I did end up finding some jute rope in my stash, but it was too thick to crochet into a small basket. Undaunted, I pried and untwisted the 3 strands of rope apart to get a thinner jute strand I could crochet.

With no pattern to work from, the shape of the basket came out different … and the rougher-looking jute basket didn’t look quite right for the original idea, either. Plus I suspected that the pattern for the top part would not match up correctly with the stitches in my basket.

So I scrapped the original idea and decided to do the top part in fabric instead. Because I wanted a coordinating lining, it wasn’t as easy to figure out as I had hoped, and consequently the lining is a little wonky!

Oh, well. I didn’t think it looked too terrible, so I soldiered on. I found a really cute vintage doily (slightly stained and damaged) in my stash. I cut off the edging (which was still in good shape), treating the cut areas with some fabric glue to prevent unraveling. I stitched the edging to the top edge of the basket.

The bag feet are some vintage buttons from the 1940’s or 50’s that I had bought long ago at an estate sale.

In my stash, I had a couple of pom poms and a vintage red soutache trim in the color “Atom Red”. Perfect! Before sewing the lining in place, I had set some grommets to run the drawstring through. But unfortunately, when I worked the drawstring through the grommets, it ended up pulling one of the grommets halfway out and frayed the fabric. Oh no! What to do?!?!

After a few fretful moments, I set to work removing both grommets. Careful application of more fabric glue should stop any more fraying. Then I crocheted a couple of small flowers, ran the ends of the drawstring through them, and stitched them in place where the grommets had been.

I was satisfied with the fix, and ended up being happy with the bag, which can be used as a project bag, small purse (if you leave the drawstrings long as handles), or even a basket if you tuck the top part inside and just leave a cuff of the fabric at the edge.

I couldn’t stand to throw away the middle part of the doily, so I trimmed off the damaged bits and used it to create a lid for a Mason jar full of whimsies!

21 Likes

I love everything about this. The fabrics are glorious & that flower fix ended up looking far superior to a gromet. How wonderful that you rescued the remainder of the doily for such a cute purpose.

1 Like

I just admire your “fixing” skills so much! I think those doily “grommets” are going to be a new thing…they are the best!

Inspired by vintage but you took it to a new level…so glad you soldiered on to make this fabulous bag!

2 Likes

This is some serious dedication to the making! Holy smokes! And the final execution is sublime!

2 Likes

Beautiful job! Wow!

1 Like

This is utterly fantastic! I love all your work-arounds, and the vintage touches you worked in. It’s truly lovely.

1 Like

Amazing job modifying this pattern, and rolling with the punches. That floral fabric is so kk, you did an amazing job!

1 Like

It it the best ever and you did an amazing job! I love the colors, the fabric and the pom poms are the best! Thank you so much!

1 Like

This is the bees knees!

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate that Kittykill (and everyone else) is kindly overlooking the very weird and wonky lining, which somehow wound up bigger than the outer part of the bag. And slightly twisted. (?)

One day, I may learn how to sew properly… but possibly not! My mom was an expert seamstress, and she was never able to teach me… I can’t say I have ever been truly satisfied with any sewing project I’ve ever done.

This is great and so much work.

1 Like

I totally love this.

1 Like

This is so cool and the fact that it’s an original pattern is very impressive!

1 Like

This is so pretty. I love the addition of the pompoms.

2 Likes