Rotisserie chicken

We recently got a countertop convection oven with a rotisserie, and this is our new favorite. Such crispy skin and moist meat!

It’s pretty easy to do; season the chicken, put it on the spit, tie up any floppy bits like legs and wings, then set it and walk away for an hour and a half.

Much tastier than store bought, and you can control the seasoning and ingredients. We pay about $5 for either a rotisserie or raw chicken, but the raw one turns into twice as many meals.

I found a recipe for chicken gyros today, can hardly wait to make them!

12 Likes

Looks delish! I know just what you mean about the store bought ones only making for one meal while homecooked end up being several. Funny how that works.

2 Likes

MMMM yum!

1 Like

Looks soooooo good!

2 Likes

Looks really yummy

1 Like

Chicken gyros are my fave! We live or counter top cooker too! It’s the greatest kitchen appliance we own

2 Likes

Ooh, would you share your gyros recipe? Do you make your own pita?

2 Likes

I buy pitas and tzatziki from the store. It’s really just seasoned up chicken pitas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you layer the chicken to make a gyros roast and cook it yourself, or just use cooked chicken?

I do layer the chicken on a skewer with an onion on the bottom, roast it, and carve it

2 Likes

Thanks, that sounds like the recipe I found.

1 Like

Looks yummy. I read an article about why store bought rotisserie chicken is so cheap. They use chicken that’s close to expiring. I don’t know if that’s true, but I never buy it anymore.

3 Likes

This is the chicken gyros recipe I’m going to try, in case anybody else wants inspiration.
It doesn’t require a rotisserie; instead, you layer the meat on a bamboo skewer held upright by an onion half. https://foodiesterminal.com/authentic-greek-chicken-gyros-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-6200
My favorite is the crispy bits outside, so I’m thinking about laying the chicken flat and broiling it.

1 Like

I used that recipe today. It was delicious, with these considerations:
it was too wet to broil well, so it baked in a single layer instead of stacked.
I would cut the oil waaaay back, by 3/4 or more.
That’s a lot of chili flakes; I used about 1/3, and it was pleasantly spicy.
Ugh, coriander; fancy name for cilantro seeds. Left them out.

Made pita for the first time; it didn’t form pockets, but tasted good.

I even made Tzatziki sauce, with several substitutions; full fat Greek yogurt, dried dill, bottled lemon juice, and no cucumber.

1 Like

Looks great! I bet you have the same convection oven with rotisserie as I do. Ours stays in the camper, but I will bring it in now and again to do a chicken or pork loin.

1 Like