Round robins?

Sorry if I should have posted this in an existing thread.

Do we do Round robins here? I think I remember that was on the other site too, but I might be wrong.
I guess its kind of a swap, but still something different.
And would people be interested in such a thing?

3 Likes

We do utilize round robins in swaps if there are an odd # of participants and people are okay with it. Sometimes we have a person with a 2nd partner instead. I don’t recall an actual “round robin” swap before.

3 Likes

I was in a couple swaps on the old site that were 100% round robin style (one of the geezer swaps comes to mind). It’s usually at the organizer’s discretion, so it could be used for any swap, really!

2 Likes

Exactly true. Any swap could be round robin. It’s the organizers discretion. I know that I personally try to avoid them because I got some feedback that people weren’t as into them. It’s nice to hear that some people do enjoy them!

1 Like

I’m not a fan in ordinary swaps because I enjoy the mutual getting-to-know-you that goes on between partners. That said, I also quite like random swaps where you don’t even know who you’ll be sending to until after you’ve crafted.
It seems to me that the dismay comes from not anticipating you’ll be in that sort of partnership when considering then signing up for something.
So, I think a purposeful round robin swap could be fun if that’s what you were specifically signing up for.

3 Likes

My mind went in a different direction from the other responses here. Years ago, in a yahoo knitting group, we used to do what we called a round robin. That involved everyone sending a knit dish cloth to the organizer, who then kept one & sent the box of cloths to the next swapper. She would take one cloth and replace with another she had made and send the box along. It went around & around until folks were ready to stop….Of course, this was back when postage prices were still low-ish.

Just throwing this out there in case that was the concept you had in mind.
I don’t think that type swap has been done on this site or on the old site.

4 Likes

There was a book that went round. More than one actually.

1 Like

I was thinking differently, too, even from what you talked about.

There have been round robin swaps on Instagram I’ve read about, to do with embroidery. If 6 people formed a group: person 1 sends their Aida cloth to person 2 and person 2 sends to person 3, etc. You have one month to embroider something on the cloth you received. Then it’s time to forward your received piece to the next person. By the time the cloth has been forwarded six times, it arrives back to the owner with 6 embroidered sections on it. It’s a long commitment swap and only works if everyone forwards their pieces on time.

Hope that makes sense.

4 Likes

How interesting!
And yes, quite a long-term commitment

Also, @Magpie , I didn’t know about the book round robin; I’m intrigued

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of round robins. In the swaps that I organize I always ask if the sign-upper (mush brain) is willing to have two partners. If no one wants an extra partner, I do it myself as the organizer.
I think the everyone-send-to-one-person-and-they-dole-it-out swap was outlawed on cster. That one person the gets everything could just keep it, if they were a jerk.

5 Likes

Thanks for all the replys! You have given lots to think about.
I have only had good experience when I have participated, but I can see that it could go so wrong too.

2 Likes