Safety Earrings!

I have finished my PPE earrings, just in time for Safety Day!


I have made one and a half pairs, actually. My son asked me to make a pair for his mentor/coworker (he works for the same company at a different store - safety day is company wide) but I am tired. I hope to finish four pairs total, one for my boss and one extra in case someone else wants to wear goggles and chem gloves in their ears.

I actually can’t stand wearing earrings but I don’t like the way they look as a necklace so I’ll put up with it and the crusty ear holes afterward.

Progress pics


The goggles are googly eye shells and Rainbow Loom bands.

The gloves are the necks of balloons and double sided tape & careful cutting with just a smidge of bad words as needed.

I used these teeny tiny eyelets and adorable setting kit.

See?


Oh and here’s the safety board I created. We are actually supposed to change it once a quarter and no one ever does until the district safety coordinator gets on our case and my boss or someone does a minimal effort thing. So when I was asked to take over, I was super excited. I have a bunch more ideas but I can only change it once a quarter! :laughing:

21 Likes

Best earrings ever! They came out soooo cute! And your safety board is one I’d actually read.

1 Like

These are such a fun idea; no wonder everybody wants a pair.

I did actually zoom in on the photo to read it :laughing:.

2 Likes

This are both adorable and hysterical! Thanks for sharing how the gloves were made, but now I’m super curious about the goggles! I’m also curious what kind of workplace had a fog tank that can cause such burns. :thinking:

1 Like

For the goggles, I carefully cut around the edge of the eye and popped the backing off, leaving me with a plastic oval “bubble” shape. The Rainbow Loom bands fit exactly inside them! So I cut out a little curve for the nose piece and super glued around 3/4 of the rubber band, leaving the nose area unglued. Once that dried, I put a smidge of glue at the top of the curve and pressed the unglued part of the band into it with tweezers. Then I cut open another band and took off about a centimeter to make it the right length. Then I super glued the ends onto the goggle body.

This is our FOG tank.

It stands for fat, oil, and grease. It’s basically a very hot chemical bath where we can put baking pans, oven parts, basically anything metal that gets gross. It sits in there for about 24 hours and all that stuff gets dissolved. We have had a few injuries in the company so they overhauled the training and safety protocols for it. There was one where someone reached in, they were wearing the protective gloves, but reached too far and the liquid went into the glove. They still have not returned to work. I am a store-level safety coordinator so I got to see the gnarly photos at our quarterly meeting :confounded_face:

2 Likes

Great job! Love your ingenuity!!

1 Like

Thank you for describing the ingenious goggle process! And the interesting Fog tank!

1 Like

These are too cute! How creative for the gloves and the goggles. I’d definitely take crusty ear holes to wear these too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, these are amazing!

1 Like

These tuned out really cute! Your solutions for making the gloves and goggles are genius!!

1 Like

:tada: :dizzy: :heart: :fire: :tada: :dizzy: :heart: :fire: :tada: :dizzy: :heart: :fire: :tada: Oh, hello there! Your amazing craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :tada: :dizzy: :heart: :fire: :tada: :dizzy: :heart: :fire: :tada: :dizzy: :heart: :fire: :tada:

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: That’s worth crusty ear holes I’d think.

It was so nice to see your process from idea and brainstorming on the boards to finished product!

1 Like

As someone who had to wear PPE on occasion for my job, I love those! They are so creative and fun.

2 Likes

So sweet and well-done! Thanks for the progress pics.

1 Like

As a teacher whose students always forget about them, I’d love to make some for myself (and for my students too)

1 Like

Those are truly amazing!

1 Like

I love that you shared the process with all the materials because you used everything in such a creative way! Would never have known these started life as balloons or googly eyes. Well done.

1 Like

These are so spectacular. Congrats on being a Featured Project!

1 Like

Yes, I am so thankful for everyone who gave me ideas. This is such a great community.