SAFETY WARNING for Fractal Wood Burning - don't do it!

Hey friends! I recently learned of how extremely dangerous DIY fractal wood-burning is, and wanted to share with y’all in this community.

If you’re like me, you may have seen some videos of people burning neat fractal patterns in boards and tables with some kind of homemade electric rig; what you may not know is that those folks are exposing themselves to brushing up against something with 2000v of electricity running through it. Over thirty people have died, some even killing their partners who tried to help before shutting the power off, and homes have burned down.

More info can be found thanks to Ann Reardon:

Safe crafting! And please spread the word!

12 Likes

Scary stuff! I watched the video the other day, but I didn’t think to share it here. I really like her channel.

2 Likes

I had no idea! Electricity scares me anyway and this just solidified it for me!

1 Like

This is super scary! I had no idea it was so dangerous. Thanks so much for warning your fellow crafters!

3 Likes

I saw somebody use this technique on Flea Market Flip, and thought it would be cool to try. Good thing I never got around to it, saw AR’s warning the other day. I had no idea that the microwave transformer upped the voltage so much.

2 Likes

My son sent me the link to this video; I guess he thinks I’m just crazy enough to try it. But I steer clear of any craft tutorial that has instructions like, “remove the transformer from your microwave, plug it in and attach jumper cables to it…”
:grimacing: :flushed: :zap:
I also love Ann Reardon.

3 Likes

I got shocked taking apart a toaster when I was in college and NEVER want to experience that again! I am very careful around anything electrical…wow…dying for a craft…NOPE!

2 Likes

How horrific