Salt dough ornaments

I make ornaments for my three nieces every year, and always try to do something different. These days I keep trying to tell myself that simple is the way to go. Salt dough seemed easy! And then I realized I had made more than I needed, and things went from there.

2/3 niece ornaments complete; the third is the same as the candy cane version, but it still needs to be strung. Not seeing that niece today so I avoided the frustration of stringing one more. :joy: The candy cane and gingerbread men are leftovers from a polymer clay disaster about ten years ago. The “tiles” are salt dough imprinted with rubber stamps before baking, and painted with acrylic and detailed with metallic Sharpie.

I thought it would be cute to get my little one to paint some of the extras for the grandparents. Well, eating the paint was more fun, so I half painted these to show her what the paint was actually for, and then she mucked them around in her painty hands. :slight_smile:

And THEN! I stumbled upon what I think is my favourite technique. I let the little one muck around with finger paints on a big piece of paper, and then dunked the fronts of the ornaments in the paint here and there. I love the tie dye look of these! I’ll definitely be using this technique for more “made by mommy and me” gifts in the future!

Thanks for looking :heart:

15 Likes

So cool!
I really like that tie-dyed look as well!
Hopefully next year I can make an ornament w my granddaughter, and I’ll try to keep your examples in mind

1 Like

The salt dough one with the candy cane is SO cool! And that’s a great technique for your “Made by Mommy and Me” ornaments. They are very pretty!

1 Like

great ornaments, love your varied techniques!

1 Like

These are great! I love all the stories behind the pieces and think it’s really wonderful that you make annual ornaments for your nieces and that you got your tike involved for so many more ornaments.

1 Like

These are so fun and I love that you got your little one involved!

My Aunts made me ornaments every year when I was growing up. Your nieces will surely treasure their ornaments when they start their own Christmas tree someday.

1 Like

The first ornaments for your nieces are beautifully made and look amazing. I love the tie dye snowflakes they are so pretty and such a sweet thing to do with your child. I’m sure they all will be treasured.

1 Like

They are BEAUTIFUL!

1 Like

So pretty, I love that they look a little cookie-ish. Such a great idea to use the fingerpaints, those look so bright & sweet.
Did you make the wire pinecones too?

1 Like

I don’t recall where the pinecones came from but they are definitely store bought. I only have a couple left so I’ll be hoarding them for the right project, hehe.

Thank you all for the lovely compliments :heart_eyes: