Scented Gift Temari

My friend is a nun. She saw that I have been making temari balls and asked me to make her one.

The design is a traditional one, called Kiku, I think.

This Temari ball is scented with Japanese bath salts, which are sprinkled through the inner layers. It can be used as a closet freshener or sachet for a drawer.

My son and I like the scent, but my husband thinks it is awful! He would not stay in the same room with me when I was making it. Hope my friend will find it pleasant, but I’m a bit worried about it.

22 Likes

It’s really beautiful. I hope your friend enjoys the smells.

1 Like

It’s beautiful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it is the most beautiful one you have made so far…until the next one, at least!

What a fitting name, since Kiku means chrysanthemum…it does look like a beautiful flower!

My husband also hates most scents, but it will dissipate and I bet it is lovely to scent a drawer or large room…the colors are just gorgeous!

4 Likes

Thanks, all! I think if she doesn’t like the scent, she can just donate it to her convent. Hopefully, at least one of the sisters would like it.

1 Like

These have all been lovely, but this one is especially beautiful. Well done!

2 Likes

I love the colours and love that it is scented!

1 Like

Wow they keep getting better and better!

1 Like

Gorgeous!! I need to learn to make these. Great idea to use as a drawer freshener!

1 Like

Stunning!!!

1 Like

Oh gorgeous!! I’m trying to master the kiku herringbone right now and this is helpful to look at. I think I’ve been making mine to thick so they don’t snug up like your dark purple center points do. It’s tough to learn from a book, even a well-illustrated one, when I can’t ask questions!

1 Like

Thanks! The inner herringbone stitches are pretty close to one another. And I had to keep using the blunt end of the needle to push thread out of the way/closer together so I would have enough room to add more herringbone stitches there.

2 Likes

I love all the details and I really like the idea of it being scented!

1 Like

This is beautiful. I love that it is scented.

1 Like

That is so beautiful and I love the colours.

Personally, I wouldn’t have added a scent because we each like different ones and possible allergies.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sure you’re right. It’s one of those self-challenge things, I guess. You know, “Can I make one with a scent?” … “Can I make one out of a different material?” etc.

I did tell her it had a scent, and she said that was fine, so hopefully it will be okay!

1 Like

I am very confused about how you make these. Lol. They look awesome! I had to look it up since I haven’t heard of them before. Great job. It looks so professional.

1 Like

Thanks! I had always wanted to learn how to make them, and once you learn the basic techniques, it’s not as hard as it may look. My teacher had been taught by Barbara Seuss. Seuss has a lot of resources and videos that you can use for reference if you want to teach yourself.

This is gorgeous! Feeling very tempted to figure this craft out. Maybe we should have a swap for them? nothing like a deadline to make me get something done.

1 Like

Good idea! We can put that on the waiting list at LettuceCraft. I know the first swap spots are all filled up, though. @AcadianDriftwood and I are doing a personal swap right now, and I’m sure one or both of us might be up for it again if you want quicker access to a temari ball swap.