Scherenschnitte: Large-scale Paper Ornaments

I usually don’t decorate for Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving, but I wanted to make a paper ornament display for above our split entryway, and had to put them up as I went to gauge how many I needed and of what size. I still have more to add. I designed the ornament shapes and cut them out in various rainbow cardstock. Each of the larger ornaments is cut out of 6 colors of cardstock, folded in half, then glued together on the back sides in a stack, so when they are opened up the first and last get clipped together. I have a few more mid-sized ones to add, and I filled the space on the cardstock with small versions of each ornament, both solid and cutwork, so I have several stacks of two-toned flat ornaments to either add to the display or create a garland. I haven’t decided yet. But I love how it looks so far. I’d extend the space out more but I get queasy leaning that far out over the open staircase on a ladder.

15 Likes

What a great idea! these look so festive and how cool that they’re in a usually-empty space! And I love a seasonal decoration that can store easily.

1 Like

I love the retro vibe these have…perfect!

1 Like

Very pretty, I agree such a vintage vibe to them.

1 Like

Thanks!

Actually, the bell shape started as the shape from my retro tree skirt, which I had already digitized, and it translated really easily into a cut file, and then I added the other two. So Retro is definitely what I was going for!

1 Like

What a festive way to fill the space! Love that you used an element from the tree skirt in the project. Be careful on that ladder!

1 Like

Festive and so colorful!

1 Like

Love these! They look great hanging in your space.

1 Like

They look wonderful!

1 Like

These are super festive and fun!

2 Likes