Scrabble Tile Necklaces

Scrabble Tile Original Art Necklaces

I scavenged 2 of my tiny doodles and used them and tiny pieces of my hand-painted paper to create these tree-lined hillside art necklaces. I scavenge everything and love using found objects and salvaged elements too. Don’t you?

I cut out and arranged the papers on the tops and glued them down. I then sealed the entire tiles with Mod Podge.

I then added a top coat of Decorart Triple Thick Gloss Glaze, which gave a dimensional, protective seal. It goes on very thick and can be leveled with the tip of any tool to the edges, where it pools to a domed shape. It then dries to a clear, low cabachon-like look.

I glued silver bails to the backs. The tiles are very lightweight so a super-strong, jewelry glue is not needed. Just something that is long-lasting.

Then I glued on silver, hole-less beads and fuchsia rhinestone embellishments to mimic bushes in these nature-inspired designs.

I took silvery gray and lime rattail cord and added barrel clasps to string them on.

They turned out great and I made several more. The lightweight tiles, rattail cords and the barrel clasps make this design good for seniors and those who have hand challenges, like arthritis.

These are the types of perfect tiny spaces that I love working in! Thanks for looking!

22 Likes

I love these. Thanks so much for explaining your process, I was wondering if those embellishments were in fact beads.

2 Likes

You are very welcome! You probably like working in tiny spaces too. Nothing like squinting, handling tweezers and using a magnifier if necessary! :smile:

2 Likes

These are wonderful! Your little drawings are lovely and the accents you added really bring them to life. Love the effect of the glaze!

2 Likes

Wow! These are super cool! I don’t think I’d ever be able to work that small, so I definitely appreciate these.

Do you use a lightbox for your photos? They’re great! I’m envious.

2 Likes

When you have such a tiny space, it takes creativity to capture the essence of nature! Your tiny trees are wonderful and the jewels do mimic bushes!

Thanks for sharing your process…if people only knew the amount of work to make these…a lot of love and passion goes into our art along with the work!

2 Likes

Those are super cute! I really like your little tree drawings the best.
Years ago @Onyxnox sent me one of her maple leaf tiles, I wear it every Canada day.

You can really get a lot of detail in those tiny spaces!

7 Likes

The necklaces are very pretty. I like that you used your own art and the embellishments add a nice touch!

3 Likes

She made me a similar one! I love it!

2 Likes

Such tiny goodness! Thanks for sharing the process and products you used!

2 Likes

These are fantastic, i would love wearing them!

2 Likes

Your pendants are lovely! I especially like the hand-drawn trees, they’re great!

2 Likes

Thank you! That Decorart Triple Thick Gloss Glaze is affordable and gives a professional finish. I live on a budget and Decorart has a great line of specialty paints, glosses and sealers. And you can buy them in small 4 0z bottles for more savings and easy storage!

2 Likes

OH! That is sweet! I love the complimentary colors! Cute little maple leaves.

1 Like

Interesting that you should ask! Yes, I use a homemade one. Had looked online for many that I could buy. A collapsible one would be great!

I made mine with a cardboard box. Covered the inside with white, copy paper. Cut large windows in the sides, back and top to let light in behind the white paper. I have 2 tabletop adjustable spotlights on little tripods. I can position these around the box with the light against the white paper covered windows. Sometimes I lay a light on the top corner to shine down through the top window into the box. It’s not collapsible though so there has to be space to store it.

Here’s a pic of my little lights. The feet can be pushed up into the bases to store. No pics available of the clunky light box.
LED Photo Lights

I enjoy photography and I currently use an inexpensive, Samsung PS camera.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s why if we priced our work at its worth, most people would not be able to afford most of it. Crafters that are in it for the money today are sadly disappointed, no matter where they choose to sell, online or off.

I was selling handmades online from 2006 to about 2015, when handmades were all the rage, postal rates hadn’t started to soar and selling venues proliferated the Web. I was not a high-volume seller but it was such a fun time! Starting with 2016, the handmades community lost a lot of its steam, excitement and income-generating ability. That’s why it’s hard to find active forums.

Designing, creating and making is and always has been truly a labor of love for most of us. As long as we can scratch out a living in some way, the creating goes on and continues to consume us. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

They’re so lightweight that they’re great for everyday, craft table wear.

1 Like

Thank you! I was trying to design some kitchen jar labels sets when I doodled the trees. I used to visit my grandparents in summers when I was a child. They lived deep in the country on Beech Hill Lane. That’s why I was scribbling some trees on a hill.

I usually save all doodles, even if they are ugly. I figure I can use them in collages or something, intact or cut up.

3 Likes

Your necklaces are very attractive!

1 Like

Thank you! That’s what I love about creativity. We can take just about any old thing, scribbles and doodles, and make it look attractive.

1 Like