Scrappy ... basket? bucket?

I cut out a bunch of very specificly sized squares for a project I decided not to do. Instead of putting them back into stash I sewed them all together then had no plan for it. My man liked it and asked for a something. Hope he likes this buckety thing lol. It’s 12" tall & 8" across.

I just winged this but Sew sweetness has a free PDF & tutorial for this sort of handle if you want to try it sometime. There’s even a way to add another handle so there are 2.

It’s got fusible foam inside, I don’t know what I bought that stuff for but boy am I happy to be getting it out of my stash.

12 Likes

Oh, this is fabulous! I love the binding around the top and the inside being shades of black and white to really make the colors on the outside pop! I think I’m in love!

1 Like

No handsewing! None. I mean, a lot of awkward machine sewing but that is a long tall skinny tube, lol.

3 Likes

Love it! You’ve been on a roll.

2 Likes

Beautiful ! If your man doesn’t like this buckety thing, I could love it instead :smiley:

2 Likes

Great way to use the patchwork! I’m loving all your storage baskets and buckets. Makes me think I should make some for Ada’s room and the laundry room. Once we set my makeshift studio up.

2 Likes

Yes, do it! The containers will be play things as well as storage & you could solicit fabric bits from all of us! We could even piece things into specific shapes/sizes for you, that would be flat & easy to mail.
Plan the sizes, I’m not doing that so am ending up with an oddly shaped & sized hodgpodge collection, lol. This one is so tall, what can it hold without toppling over?
The foam might be good for kid buckets too, it springs back into shape without creasing up like a stiff interfacing and it holds shape better than batting as well. I like this square foldable style (link to free pattern).

2 Likes

Fun basket! I love the patchwork, the contrasting lining, and just the whole “basketness” of the thing.

1 Like

We went through all the squares last night, so many memories! That grey striped lining fabric was picked up to make pants for Rob, that never happened. There’s a tall-man-sized piece of it that’s getting used in lots of projects and he’s reminding me every time he sees it, lol. At least this was for him? Ha!

1 Like

You are the master of this medium! While there is no doubt this is scrappy, it is so far from sloppy!
The piping and lining are such nice contrasts to the patchwork, but because they aren’t plain they just make it more playful.

1 Like

I did take a lot of care with placement on it. There is a strip of the lining fabric on the bottom of the outside, that was partially a design element but also so the seam allowance on the bottom squares could match the rest at 1/4", more was needed to join the circle & it would have made them rectangular. Same with the top. The top of the lining is close to the selvage to incorporate a band of black that ran along the edge. And I did some difficult lining up of the side seams then inside out sewing through the outside & the lining together to get 2 rows of stitches on either side of the join so it would match all the way round the thing. Whew, there must be more than 10 hours in a project like this.
And that is why we don’t sell our work, right?

2 Likes

Your precision and forethought along with rigidness the foam brings and that handle… chef’s kiss!

Absolutely this. And pretty much whenever I am told “you could sell these” - which I realize people use as a compliment - I tell them something like “well, this took X hours, so I’m not sure people would want to pay what it’s actually worth.” Usually I can see non-makers minds actually get blown for a few seconds or a little indignant because that’s easier than considering the ramifications of why something at Target doesn’t cost nearly that much. Makers almost always get-it right away.

1 Like

It’s awesome! I love the things you make with scraps.

1 Like

This is so fun. I love the colorful patchwork and the black and white rim. I’ve been wanting to try a bucket like this, I just have to get some foam! Thanks for the inspiration as always.

1 Like

I try not to get offended at the “you should sell those” as if I wanted to do assembly line work for very little return. To me, it is annoying that the first thing folks think of is to monetize it. I craft for my own well being,

1 Like

I agree with the monetization thing. I think that living in an uber capitalist culture is what makes people consider that a go-to compliment and that someone is looking to monetize any activity. I am not offended, but I do make it clear that this nifty little thing was not quick. Even if they do some quick minimum-wage math the price would likely be higher than they expected, so there’s no need for me to even bring up that I think my time using these skill sets is worth (way) more than minimum wage.

1 Like

I only make 10+ hour baskets (that give me a hard time) for people I LOVE!

2 Likes

I made a 12-hour spirit doll and donated it to a charity art show. That’s my speed.

2 Likes

Holy moly! You are the queen of scrappy fabric baskets! That handle is so well done. While looking through the pics, I noticed the darker line of fabric at the top of the inside and it had me wondering about it, so thank you for explaining it in one of your comments. It is very clear that everything about this is well thought out. I love that striped fabric on the inside, it is such a nice finishing touch. There’s something about the stripes that seem to elevate the basket more than a solid would be able to.

1 Like

Those colors! So happy inducing!

1 Like