Scrappy Black + Rainbow Quilted Tote Bag

I knew I wanted to make something fun for the Garage Sale, that would also be a quick palette cleansing project. I recently made a quilted kids library tote bag for a little girl, back in February, and thought that might be a great way to scrap/stash bust. I looked through my studio and realized I still had a large pile of black + various bright colored 2.5" squares sitting around, and decided to see what I could do with them.

I created two patchwork panels, that I then added a wide strip of black to at the bottom, to help give the patchwork more definition. When they come together, they form and endless rainbow around the body of the tote, so each color flows into the next.

Most of the patchwork pairs were ready-made, but I did have to dig through my stash of 2.5" squares to fill in a couple gaps in the rainbow gradient. I think I made 10 new pairs.

The bag measures 13.25" tall, and 11" wide, and 5" deep.

It has two inner pockets, made from solar print fabrics made during the Midwest Meetup last summer. The red pocket is a print of sewing notions, including ric-rac, safety pins, and buttons.

It measures 6.5" deep, and 8.5" wide overall, but is divided into 4.75" and 3.5". Perfect for a good sized cell phone (or wallet) & keys.

The second pocket features a blue solar print of buttons and bugs. It measures 6.5" deep and 7.5" wide. Seen here holding a wallet and keys (again).

Detail of the solar print fabrics:

It’s a good sized tote, and for photos I filled it with a 2" wide 3-Ring binder, and 2 large crochet pattern books, along with my wallet and keys. It could easily hold a few more books or a laptop, and a bottle of water.

I have to admit, I’m loathe to give this one up, and might have to make another for myself! But it’s for a good cause. :wink:

LCGarageSaleRound2Project

20 Likes

So amazing!! I love everything about it and it is flawlessly executed, of course!!

2 Likes

Everything is coming up rainbows :rainbow: I love it! This bag looks so flawless and endlessly useful. :heart:

2 Likes

So cute!

2 Likes

Very cute!! The black really makes those colors pop!

2 Likes

You know how I feel about this. Yes, make another one for yourself, 100%.

2 Likes

This is a great bag! I love the bright colors with the black!

2 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

This is amazing. I love the way th rainbow flows around the bag!

That is a amazing bag!

Such a lovely bag and a great stash-buster!

1 Like

Happiness in every stitch.

1 Like

I love the wrap around rainbow. So crisp and bright.

1 Like