Scrappy Christmas Animal Art

A long time ago I made some scrappy animals sort of in this style. I saw them on my swap partner’s wish list and tried to recreate them in a Christmas style.
I got some green fabric and used acrylic paints to make it more textured and not so flat. I added glitter paint to it as well. The glitter doesn’t show up too well in the photos. Then I drew the animals on fabric with a sharpie and used Inktense pencils to color them in. I used a lot of water to give them a watercolor feel. I added some more glitter to the red parts. I cut them out and hand sewed them with embroidery thread to the green in a scrappy way. I attached the green fabric to the red canvas with a bunch of fancy stitches on my machine.
My partner was Storerboughtcreation and we all know her love of sloths. I drew this guy up for her.

I like to coordinate my art so I made her a second one in another quirky animal that people don’t normally associate with Christmas so I chose the hedgehog.

For the record. My Mom did not like the hedgehog. She asked why I was sending her a bloody mouse. :joy: Hahaha! Then she asked me to look at some stuff on her i-pad and it was pictures of hedgehogs. She said, “See, that’s what they are supposed to look like”. :rofl: In all fairness, I added the white parts to the hedgehog after her constructive criticism. Ha! I told her I was still sending it, but with much less confidence now. :wink: My Mom cracks me up.

21 Likes

your mom sounds like a hoot! I knew right away it was a hedgehog then when I read “bloody mouse” I was like, yeah I see it. I love it (them) either way!

3 Likes

These just turned out sooooo well. I adore both of them and I’m sure your partner loved them too. I think the white lines definitely make it look like a hedgehog instead of a mouse. Good addition. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love these! We top our tree with a hedgehog, so it’s perfect! And like you said, I love my sloths!!! :hearts:

2 Likes

Loving all the different stitches you used on these. And gotta love mom’s honesty! :laughing:

2 Likes

I think the hedgie is the cutest! That little face!

2 Likes

These are so delightful- blood or no blood! :joy: And how awesome that SBC uses a hedgehog in her decorating!!

1 Like

Dang it. So that means you know what one is supposed to look like. LOL! :rofl:

2 Likes

My husband has worked with animals his whole life. He’s always been obsessed with them. He minored in evolutionary biology in college, interned at a zoo, worked in shelters, and worked for pet stores.

The hedgehog square is no longer mine… he claimed it as his. He said you must have included it as his extra because it isn’t a sloth :joy:

This whole package is very much loved. Thank you x :infinity:

4 Likes

What sweet drawings! I love them both. The hedgie is my personal favorite, and it does look like a hedgie, not a mouse! Well done.

3 Likes

Agree! It looks like a hedgehog, and a darn cute one at that!

2 Likes

They are awesome! Love that sloth!!

2 Likes

I literally knew what these were from the second I saw the first!!! I adore mine, and feel like there are little cousins out there, now!!

3 Likes