Scrappy Rice Bag

For the scrappy swap my partner had so many wonderful things listed and I had so many scraps that the hard part was narrowing down my options.
I have been eyeing Japanese rice bags, they are just so sweet. Pull out the scraps and some old jeans, spend evenings slow boro stitching and a bag was born. And a baby triangle pouch.

21 Likes

I absolutely love this! Beautiful stitching and a great “scrappy-yet-cohesive” piece.

2 Likes

Gorgeous work! The patterns on the fabric scraps really combine well with the stitches.

1 Like

I’ve definitely been looking at this style of bag for a bit, too! This one looks pretty excellent.

1 Like

The slow boro looks excellent! It add such a visually fun touch to the bag.

1 Like

This is loaded with charm! I love how the scrappiness isn’t also a slumpiness - that it’s crisp and sturdy looking. And that little triangle pouch! Eep!

2 Likes

Thank you all. I hated to send it away. I love little bags, but seldom use them. I’m a stuff it in my pocket girl. This is about 7-8 inches square.

1 Like

Love how the stitching extends past the edges of the patches. And the triangle bag is so cute!

1 Like

Another pic, thanks @MightyMitochondria

3 Likes

Gorgeous! Absolutely love every bit of it. Wonderful colours & stitching. Really well done, thoughtful stuff.

1 Like

@marionberries did a beautiful job. I carried the bag today and got several compliments. She is so clever and creative.

1 Like

Yes! This bag definitely keeps its shape, which is really nice.

2 Likes

@marionberries the cashier at Target just told me he liked my bag and wanted to know where I got it. From a very exclusive designer, of course!

2 Likes

Perfect answer.

Nice job! Why is it called a rice bag?

1 Like

Japanese farmers would stitch together bags out of scraps to carry rice to pay their tribute to the local lord.

2 Likes