Scrappy trinket bowls

I got inspired by the scrappy challenge to do some sewing. This technique is an oldie but a goodie, that lots of people have made. I really enjoy making these scrappy fabric bowls, each one turns out differently and it’s quite an organic process to shape them.

This time I used up several leftover reels of sewing thread and mixed up different colours. I experimented with going over the stitching thickly in places, to add a bit of texture and visual interest. I also tried some different ways of finishing the top.

I like to use soft cotton piping cord for the base, it’s quite easy to sew through. It’s also a good project to use up funny shaped skinny fabric scraps left over from dress making, as the strips don’t have to be cut super straight.

They were a lot of fun to make! Most of them have gone to a fundraising sale for our local art group.

31 Likes

These are so much fun!

2 Likes

Oooh, love the colors.

2 Likes

Pretty, all so pretty. Love that rainbow number best, of course!

1 Like

That blue and green one! Swoon!

3 Likes

I’m a sucker for scrappy rope bowls :heart_eyes:

Do you think the piping will hold up like rope will? I have a bunch of piping but no rope and have been itching to try making some bowls.

3 Likes

Ooh, they’re so colorful! I love the look of those zigzag stitches against the fabric. These all came out so nice!

1 Like

I have a bunch of piping that is too big. Maybe bowls are in its future.

1 Like

Once it’s all zigzagged together, they are sturdy enough, and seem to hold their shape well. I think piping cord is plenty tough enough for smaller size bowls, maybe not for a larger storage basket to hold anything really heavy though. I really like that it’s easy to sew through!

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

These are all fantastic. Love that rainbow one! The tab is an interesting addition that I haven’t seen before.

3 Likes

I love them all! It’s so fun to wrap them and then end up with a completely different finished product. You just never know how it will turn out. The blue and green one is making me swoon. I love it!

2 Likes

They are all fantastic. Love the colorways you chose. Each one is so unique and pretty!

2 Likes

They are all so pretty! You made the colors blend perfectly. The blue one is my fave.

2 Likes

It’s partly to cover the uneven spot on the rim where the cord finishes, but it’s also a loop, so you could use it to hang the bowl, or pin it to a pin board or something. Glad you like it :smile_cat:

3 Likes

:mega: Wheeeeee dawgeez! :confetti_ball: Your fantastic craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :rocket:

1 Like

These are lovely bowls. I’ve made this kind of fabric bowl befor and love them.

They will be loved and fantastic use of scraps

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like

My favs are the blue-green ones. So cool! They add lovely color to the decor. Good job!

1 Like

Beautiful,

1 Like

I have a bowl like this I purchased from Etsy and I just love it. It’s currently collecting kitty whiskers as I find them.

Such a great reuse of fabric!

1 Like