Sea Urchin Fairy Cottage Lantern

One of my dearest ones had a milestone birthday. She LOVES the beach, but there is no beach these days for those who don’t live at the beach and who are following best practices for Covid-19, so I wanted to send a wee bit (get it?) of the beach to her!

The svg files came from svgcuts.com; it is the Pumpkin Cottage Kit (see original here), but by changing up the papers, textures, and embellishments I was able to make it into a sea urchin cottage! I used my Sizzix Big Shot to do lots of embossing on this project and I’m pretty ticked with how those pieces came out.

The sides of the base on the original were bark-like in texture, but I though this folder had a stylized sea weed vibe.

The dots that get smaller at the top and bottom were just about perfect to give the “pumpkin” a sea urchin shell texture! It was realizing this that got me started down the sea fairy path!

Scales for the roof, bubble-texture for the window dormer roofs and window boxes and the inverse of the same folder for the chimney.

It was a really fun challenge taking it from autumn/pumpkin to summer/seaside, so… LOTSA DETAIL PICS!

50thPamUrchin02

The door knob is a brad, the door was textured paper that I highlighted with gold and blue inks, I picked up a die that cut and embossed to make the sand dollar.

50thPamUrchin04

50thPamUrchin08

The fence paper was already woodgrain texture and one of my favorites for details on my projects. I was so tickeld when I found this pearlescent green paper with silver dots - I thought it would be just right to turn the pumpkin vine into seaweed! Adding the pearls for just a little extra extra-ness!

50thPamUrchin05

There are more “vines” in the window boxes and the original had paper flowers to cut, but I had found these cute beads and thought they’d be perfect “growing” in the window boxes.

50thPamUrchin09

A closer look at the roof and chimney which are both a pearlescent aqua paper with some inking, I added the bubble in the chimney because it made me giggle! There’s nothing in the chimney in the original. The window frames and roofs are the same pearlescent white paper.

50thPamUrchin12

The roof comes off so you can put LED lights inside, which I did. I had used a sandy colored tan for the base, but the little panels in the “yard” needed to be a bit more, so they’re a pale gold glitter! The sand dollar is a tan pearlescent paper. You can tell I wanted this to have a shimmery ocean, sparkly fairy look!

And here it is lit up! I love how the parchment window panes filter the light, but also highlight the glitter sand in the yard and show some of the detail in silhouette.

If I remember correctly it stands about 14"/35.5cm high in total.

33 Likes

I… I… speechless

:astonished::star_struck:

IT IS MINNNNNEEEEEE! I opened it up this morning and burst into happy tears! It is absolutely breathtaking and perfect for me. Seriously, you guys! It is BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you so much, lady! You are a dear friend and crazy ass talented.

7 Likes

MAGNIFICENT! Glad it went to such a worthy person!!!

Thanks, friends!

Oh, lady! I’m so glad you like it [sniff]! I had a lot of fun putting it all together for you, but it’s always nerve racking to give a handmade gift.

1 Like

That is so incredibly amazing and impressive!

This is amazing!

This is utterly MAGICAL! :mermaid::sparkles::sparkling_heart:

Awww, thanks y’all!

wow–it is magical…and your transformation to make it personal for your bestie is amazing!

Just love all of the tiny shells and the sand dollar…and the texture on the house is such a great detail!

2 Likes

Putting this in my inspiration file for Halloween pumpkin

Amazing magickal!

Thanks so much!

It’s simply beautiful! I love how thoughtful you were in the textures and colors. All of the added details (the chimney bubble! the sand dollar! the seaweed porch! the window box! glitter sand!) make it even more remarkable! I am always amazed at how you have the vision to transform a die cut into something wonderful and better than the original! And, Happy Belated Birthday @kittykill!

Lovely!!!

Awwww, you! THANKS SO MUCH!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Sea Urchin Fairy Cottage Lantern is one of this week’s featured projects. You are AWE-SOME!

I miss the ocean too…

Lovely piece, great paper selections!

Floored! This is incredible. I am in awe. So much details and teeny tiny parts.

Thanks so much everyone!

What!? Well, thank you!