Seaside Guest Room Pillows

Looks like I will be getting more visitors next month (my sister and my nephew)! Thought I would spruce up the guest room a bit with some seashell themed pillows. They are both the same size–18 inches square.

I didn’t have any pre-made pillow forms, so I made my own from a top sheet and my stash of saved stuffing.

I also followed a YouTube video that @magpie had posted about how to not get those pesky floppy corners! It was a bit more work, but I love how square my pillows came out! I used some black quilting cotton to make envelope backs for easy removal when it comes time to wash them.

19 Likes

They look fantastic & wow, what a difference the “no dog ears” technique makes! I learned that from an interior decorator I worked for when I was just out of design college. She was a bad boss but that trick was worth it for sure :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I also liked the tip about making the cover one inch smaller than the form…it makes a nice plump pillow and the fabric does not move around the form! Now I want to re-do all the pillows…lol

That’s totally doable since you’d be shrinking them. Depending on closure, you might only need to stitch new lines, no picking anything out!

2 Likes

Fastest pillows I ever made as well…two in under half an hour! (except for the forms…it took forever to stuff them!)

1 Like

I really like that fabric. They look great.

They look great! And so nice on that blue bedding. I have been toying around with trying to avoid the dog ears, so I would love more details on this YouTube video, please. :heart:

Great work on the forms, too! A much smoother finish than stuffing directly.

1 Like

That fabric is perfect! They look like they belong together.

This is not the one @magpie linked, but I found it and several more when I was searching around. This one was easy-peasy!

No more droopy corners!

2 Likes

THANKS! I will see how this compares to the method I have been using and only moderately satisfies with!

The tapering is the key…and also the one stitch more in the corners going both ways to make a perfect tiny point…the first one, I marked and sewed…the second one, I could eyeball it…pretty fast once you know how to do it…

1 Like

I just watched and I have been doing the tapering, but I haven’t been making them “too small” and I think that’s the issue. I hadn’t been getting floppy corners, but the taper had been kind of obvious. I think by snugging it up, I will prevent that! It used to be that the broadly available pillow forms had this instruction on the packaging and that’s where I learned about the taper… like 30+ years ago!

In the past, I made rounded corner pillow or pillow with piping and zippers so it was not much of an issue…I loved your idea of making simpler envelope pillows so I can change out the covers more often. I made the two pillow forms 18 inches but want to make a few larger and a few smaller and just re-use the forms.

2 Likes

I’ve learned more from this website than I have anywhere else. I’m going fabric shopping this afternoon for new pillow covers just because I can!

5 Likes

Ha! I am right now in the middle of a cushion project that is rounded corners, piping, and a zipper!

2 Likes

I’m in love with this fabric - it’s perfect for your guest room and your new beachy locale!

1 Like

How pretty!

Thanks…I have just a bit left that I might be able to make either a pieced small pillow or a runner for the tv stand in front of the bed…or just add it to my scrap pile…lol…

1 Like

Looks professionally done and matches well with your bedspread.

1 Like

lol Those two pillows cost more than the entire bed cover and shams…I actually ordered it to match the pillow fabrics and hoped it would be close in match…darn lucky!

1 Like