Seeking Hand Embroidery on Flannel Guidance and Advice

Has anyone had experience hand embroidering on cotton flannel? I’m planning some flannel pillow cases and I want to embroider on the cuff before assembling. It’s not garment flannel, but also not the thickest, either. Jo-Ann house brand, I think. I will pre-wash, of course!

THANKS in advance!

1 Like

Yep! I used water soluble sulky for the pattern.

2 Likes

Good advice! You can also back it w stabilizer to help the stitches not sink into the loft so much. And use all the strands, don’t split them. And contrasting colours, anything too close in shade will get lost.

2 Likes

Good info, friends! THANKS! My plan was to trace with my light table, then go pretty chunky on the designs which are going to be names.

I also recommend water soluble Sulky. The kind I use can be printed or drawn on then stuck on the fabric. That way you can see the pattern and it irks as a stabilizer.

1 Like

Ooh, if you do outlined letters and fill them it would really stand out. Did you see @AcadianDriftwood’s LOTR wordiness? She used great stitches to give the lettering a nice raised dimensional look.

2 Likes

I have and I love it, it’s kind of a dream to stitch on actually, since there’s just a little bit of fluff, the stitches just sink right in, it’s niiiice. Sarah Beth Timmons (one of my favorites!) uses flannel for all of her embroidery so you can get lots of good examples of what a range of stitches look like by peeping her Insta.

1 Like

THanks for the link, @Lisasteatime, I really like her style. That cake one is some straight T.

1 Like

Oh my gosh, lol! I can’t decide which design would be best for my sister, those are all hysterical :laughing:
“Don’t be a Chode”! Hahahahahaha!

2 Likes

I love that one so hard! Basically being a child of the 80s, the word “chode” just makes me laugh and laugh. Its so 6th grade. :laughing:

I love her style too, a lot, actually. She has a very good sense of balance and placement which I find extremely pleasing. Everything symmetrical = Lisa likee-likee. Until recently when she made her art her full time job, she was an artist for her local Trader Joe’s, which I think you can really see in her work. I admire Trader Joe’s for this, having full time artists in each store. Pretty rad. :grinning:

2 Likes

Welp, I found my font, made my pattern up in PS, and will print and transfer soon! THANKS EVERYONE!

2 Likes