Selvages and Mushroom Notebook Cover

Earlier in the year I did three small embroideries of mushrooms on some very nice Belgian linen. Originally, I was going to sew them onto some linen towels but decided that it was too impractical and might get ruined by use.

Instead, I decided a couple of notebook covers might be a more functional use, plus I can see my mushrooms more often!

I saw an image on Pinterest that looked like a good idea: using some selvage pieces to go around the embroidery. I sure have a lot of selvage pieces so during the last Zoom meeting, I took some time to pull out those that I thought would go with the colors in the embroidery.

The base of the cover is rough linen and it is lined with the same batik fabric that outlines the mushrooms. I used a pattern that I drew up a few years ago to fit a composition notebook, so it was truly very easy to make. I even added a selvage piece bookmark, which was a royal pain to make until I found the coolest way to turn such a tiny tube using a bobby pin! Genius!

33 Likes

Live the colors! It is so calming.

2 Likes

Thanks…oddly, have no idea where those selvages came from because I don’t remember using the fabrics. I think they might have been used in swaps to make Japanese knot bags. They are not normally colors I would pick, but yes, I find them soothing and will probably use the notebook to record random thoughts during my afternoon tea break.

2 Likes

That is so pretty. The salvage pieces look amazing. I never would have thought to use those.

2 Likes

That is so lovely! The linen is such a mushroomy shade, love the bright, hot colours in contrast. And that batik? Woo, gorgeous!

3 Likes

lol I save everything!

I sort of laughed when I read the words on the ones I picked…seemed appropriate…“solar panels”, “mimosa”, “wallflower”…and the color dots for screenprinting the fabrics always make me smile…

2 Likes

Beautifully done!

2 Likes

I love the color dots and tens to save them too, but never think of anyway to use them. This is wonderful.and the colors are fun.

2 Likes

This is wonderful! So glad you decided to do this with your embroidered mushroom…now you can admire it all the time and preserve its loveliness. I like your addition of the bookmark…so handy!

2 Likes

Oh, my. This is to die for. The color and texture combinations are lovely and I adore the mushroom image.

2 Likes

Love the contrast with the linen!

1 Like

This is the perfect use for your mushrooms! And a perfect use for selvages! I love. love, love selvage projects, but this one is tops.

1 Like

This is beautiful!! I love the colour combo, the linen and the embroidery!!

What’s the trick with the Bobby pin?

1 Like

Love this method of turning these tiny tubes!!

1 Like

This is so darling!

If you have a serger there is a really easy way to sew & turn little tubes. Check out 10:00 on this video.

1 Like

Epic.

1 Like

This is just so gorgeous :heart_eyes: I love everything about it. That linen is lovely and the mushroom is so amazing!!! What a wonderful project :heart_eyes:

1 Like

:boom: YOWZA! :boom: Your wondrous craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

This is stunning! I love notebooks, they are my weakness. The embroidery is stunning and I adore that you used the selvage! Too cool.

1 Like