Earlier in the year I did three small embroideries of mushrooms on some very nice Belgian linen. Originally, I was going to sew them onto some linen towels but decided that it was too impractical and might get ruined by use.
Instead, I decided a couple of notebook covers might be a more functional use, plus I can see my mushrooms more often!
I saw an image on Pinterest that looked like a good idea: using some selvage pieces to go around the embroidery. I sure have a lot of selvage pieces so during the last Zoom meeting, I took some time to pull out those that I thought would go with the colors in the embroidery.
The base of the cover is rough linen and it is lined with the same batik fabric that outlines the mushrooms. I used a pattern that I drew up a few years ago to fit a composition notebook, so it was truly very easy to make. I even added a selvage piece bookmark, which was a royal pain to make until I found the coolest way to turn such a tiny tube using a bobby pin! Genius!