Sewing or Fabric Tag?

I know the struggles of categorizing things. I work in IT (And am ITIL certified) and I support the ticketing software that IT uses. We have “categories” and “subcategories” for the tickets. Hardware? Software? Process? Etc. And then for the next layer - do we list out each application? do we list out general types of errors? etc. and we always have complaints and we revamp it every couple years. It is difficult to make everyone happy. Totally feel the pain there.

Our goal in IT is to cater to the 80%. Do the categories/tags we have fit 80% of our tickets? Yes? Then it’s good enough. You will never reach 100% and will pull your hair out trying.

From my personal experience and in an ideal world I would see the categories and tags go one of 2 ways.

Either all of them related to crafting types and processes.

Or all of them related to finished products.

I feel having a combination of finished products and crafting processes is causing part of the confusion.
I also feel the 2nd option would be too large so I would lean toward the first option. For example under ART you have altered tin and you have shrine. I would do away with both those and have one tag called altered art. That would cover tins, shrines, and anything assemblage. (altered paint brushes, spools, spoons, etc.)

These are just my thoughts. I see both sides of the issue and know there is no “right” answer.

7 Likes

I love when an expert chimes in :). The Viking is a data programmer so I get earsful of naming convention and categorization rules frequently when he’s ruminating work brain out loud. Most of it goes straight over my head but here and there I pick up on the vibe he’s laying down and it’s pretty crystal. Smart guy, you too.

3 Likes

So funny, Mr. Road said something similar about the categorization by method vs. final product! Though he also thinks engineers should run everything. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

He’s not wrong! :joy:

2 Likes

OH no, save me from engineer thinking. We need them but please don’t make me live in their world. Besides I would drive them batty. No, no, they need their own preserve to live in. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I had to laugh at this. One suggestion involving food and a tag added. Sewing on the other hand caused a long discussion. Food wins!

5 Likes

I love this idea. I think one of the reasons I find it so confusing is that some types of crafts do have their own category, like crochet or knitting. To me, those are both yarn. LOL! It just feels like LC is more geared towards them because of this. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Maybe a PPE category. I did a glove tutorial that would fit there. People who make their own scrubs could post there. Perhaps we’ll all be sewing hospital gowns soon!

The old site showed a thumbnail of the craft, LC shows the most recent poster’s avatar. Maybe some people only read posts commented on by their friends? What sheep! Sheep, I say! Oops, sorry.

1 Like

This same discussion regarding sewing went back and forth for years and years on the old site as well.
That is why the Sewing D&Q board was installed there.

Changing “tutorial” to “recipe” is a very simple implementation.

Is there a potential problem that others foresee or anticipate, to adding Sewing under Fabric and Textiles? Because I truly don’t understand why it would be much more difficult than the recipe section upgrade. (But heaven knows I’m no programmer, so I could be entirely mistaken on that!) And I can’t think what the disadvantage might be, to going ahead with what seems to be a very popular idea.

5 Likes

But that did not contain completed projects if I recall…it was confusing.

But we are only asking for a tag not a whole new category. The wording for category or tag gets confused sometimes. But really, all we want is a tag in Fiber and Textiles for Sewing.

And the categorizing discussions at the start must have been documentary worth. I can just imagine the conversations. I love this site, and I am so glad all my friends and their fun did not go away.

6 Likes

Everyone is so passionate about their views and we are not taking your words lightly, believe me when I say that. As you can tell, this has been up for debate for years. We look at a lot of different aspects, even for a new tag. There is a lot that goes into building and maintaining the site. Nothing is done on a whim. There is research.

We love all the different perspectives. Even this morning I asked two of my closest friends and got two different viewpoints on this topic. LOL!

My only request in these discussions is to remember the line between passion and bullying. We are taking all of your ideas into consideration. Don’t think we are blowing you off, we aren’t.

K, I’ll shut up! Did not mean to bully anyone. I was just truly interested in hearing the flip side, to better understand the reasoning behind the opposing view. Love everyone dearly!!! :heart::heart::heart:

Look here lady! I’m gonna bully you will hugs and crafts! :grin: :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: just kidding…kinda . :wink: I truly love this kind of dialogue because it brings up ideas we may not have thought of. I just want everyone to know that just because we don’t answer or change something quickly doesn’t mean we don’t care if it is dead in the water.

1 Like

I am honestly dismayed to read such a powerful word being applied to this conversation.
Bullying is HORRIBLE and in no way describes this interaction. It is by definition a repeated behavior intended to harass, force, coerce, threaten, abuse, aggressively dominate, intimidate, or humiliate physically, mentally, or emotionally, someone vulnerable by someone more socially or physically powerful, whether that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. I think it is outrageous to apply such a term to this polite conversation and I am struggling to not take offense. That just utterly undermines the real experiences of people who have suffered bullying.
People have been asked to explain their side of the request and have done so graciously and eloquently and been responded to with a slap in the face. This is not criticism of the site admin, it is a genuine expression of dissatisfaction at an aspect that isn’t working for the stitchers here. The following may serve as a reminder that this sort of voicing of opinion is also not to be taken so personally.

All that is being asked for is a tag to represent a craft some are passionate about. Nobody has said anything hurtful or inflammatory. The “strong” opinions voiced here have been incredibly mild and the explanation of why it can’t or won’t be done has obviously not satisfied the inquiry. There does not seem to be a real reason to exclude SEWING.

Vinyl is plastic cut out on a machine by a premade design and applied to objects that then denote already existing categories (ei, onto glass or wood, decor or functional, onto a shirt, bag, pillowcase, fashion, function, decor). And yet, it has more than a tag, it has it’s own category.
I have been sewing since the age of 8. I went to college for design, I draft patterns and I can sew a double welt pocket with a flap without batting an eye. I consider my skills in this department exceptional and I think they warrant at least the consideration of plastic that gets ironed onto stuff. Are we really asking for that much? I don’t think we are.

4 Likes

It is horrible. And it’s heartbreaking. Unfortunately, what it is not is “outrageous” or “undermining.”

Over the past four days, we’ve now had multiple members contact us to let us know of conversations happening that either appeared in their inboxes here or that took place elsewhere, they actually engaged in themselves, and they now regret due to how the conversations escalated [always primarily fueled by one member, it seems]. Messages that absolutely shed a different light on some of the replies and intentions in this thread. While I love that people are reaching out to us :heart: of course it hurts. We are human.

I’m a visual person, so if someone wants to go on a magical journey with me, here we go… :rofl: Imagine volunteering to build a community center. It’s SO FUN. The doors open! People are crafting and chatting and glitter galore. A few members even bring snacks every night. It’s the best. Now imagine someone suggests changing one of the rooms in the center. Awesome! Let’s get together and see how that might look. There is a town hall about it where everyone is sharing their experiences, ideas, and opinions. Pretty damn cool, I must say. The town hall convenes as there is research to be done behind the scenes, more conversations to be had, etc. Meanwhile, one person from the town hall meeting starts zooming around the community center, the grass knoll between the beautiful oak trees, and even down the town streets, completely unsolicited, yelling about their disgust with the community center and the people that volunteer there. Other community members start reporting the behavior as it is affecting their time at the community center. They just want to craft and hang with their friends.

It is a bit overwhelming on multiple levels. :pensive:

Please don’t use my quote out of context, Magpie. Me removing my personal connection to my own projects, so I can serve the community better, is no comparison to disconnecting from the words that have been shared with us. Absolutely none.

What started as a thread regarding recategorizing or retagging seems to be about something so much more for someone.

As for conversations in messages or elsewhere, I have no desire to moderate those. Everyone is welcome to their own opinions – good, bad, or indifferent. Everyone is welcome to vent and to share and even to be angry. What I do ask, though, is that everyone please just take pause before you put words out into the universe about other humans. Maybe take a step back and ask yourself if what you are expressing is really about the topic at hand, or if it is coming from another place or struggle within yourself.

5 Likes

But then there are a lot of us who never heard, saw, or were told of the yelling person, so we were very confused about others’ reactions to our innocent remarks about a change in the community center. :heart: :heart: :heart:

6 Likes

It’s all good, Lily. Let’s just all be kind to one another. We need more of that in this crazy world.

5 Likes

Thank you again for your reply. While I find it attacking and aggressive, others might not and that’ s cool. We all have different interpretations and, as with the internet, sometimes what is typed out is not the way it comes across. Yes, it did start out as a request for a tag, one that we are considering but seemed to snowball. That happens when we have so many amazing ideas coming in at once.

I want this site to grow and be an inviting community. I can see that this is important to you , little did I know how important it was. All of you have made that very clear. My main concern is to let people know that it does take time to do it. I volunteer here and work another job, Sweets works another job so it might not happen overnight. I also want people to know how we decide things like tags, new categories and such. We are not trying to be nasty or controlling or anything like that. This site is free and with that comes a little patience. That is all I am asking.

When I asked what would be considered sewing, I honestly don’t know because I rarely sew. Some of the things mentioned already have tags but others, like the misc could go in that sewing tag. Discussion and technique is another one, that I mentioned, would be good for that tag. We never said we wouldn’t have the tag, we were just trying to get some clarity.

This site is different than the Craftster. We tried our hardest to bring a lot of the old over. It will not be the same as before, we are hoping that a lot will be better.

At any time, anyone wants to pm me and talk about other stuff, what they are angry about or if they feel they are not being heard, please do it. I am around most of the time and will always try to work things out. If you just don’t like me or the site, that’s cool too. We are not everyone’s cup of tea.

At the end of the day, it is all about friendship, community and crafting.

7 Likes

…apparently I missed something while I was mostly offline last week? :frowning:

But in any case, I also think sewing is as valid a tag as knit or crochet, and one which I would like to see.

The thing I keep getting confused by is that unlike most places that use things the call “tags”, the ones here seem to be a discrete folder system, rather than a descriptor where you can have several and therefore search for (for example) sewn items across all the categories at once.

4 Likes