Shaker Tape Woven Chair Seat

My husband trash picked an oak rocking chair but the seat was garbage. I salvaged the Shaker seat tape and upholstery nails from another broken chair.

Cost: $3.49 for foam padding
Time: 2 hours

What was left of the original seat.

The broken chair after removing the seat tape.

Ready to start.

Off we go! The tape had some faded spots. Whatever. It was free. We’ll call it CHARACTER.

The top is over-under, over-under.

The underside is basketweave.

18 Likes

Great save! Such a charming little rocker now!

2 Likes

This is great! I have 2 grass seat rockers in my garage waiting to be somehow fixed this summer. I am planning to go away from the grass/natural items because the animals tore it up for nests and smart betters would believe it will happen again.
Your project is so pretty and motivating!

2 Likes

It was much easier than I expected. The hardest part was hammering the tiny nails through the tape and into the wood.

3 Likes

Great project. I’d just call the fading a tonal effect like in nice, fancy yarn. :slight_smile: what a gorgeous new addition to your house!

2 Likes

Gorgeous save!!

1 Like

Beautiful work and a great save! :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Wonderful upcycle! It always feels so satisfying to bring an old thing back to life and a useful purpose.
:heart:

1 Like

Great save and the faded spots add authenticity.

3 Likes

Whoa! This is so great!

1 Like

Fantastic! What a great project!

1 Like

Great job. I just bookmarked this because I have a salvaged chair waiting for me to fix it and this may be the solution.

1 Like

@Cindy
The tape I used is 1" wide, and I used small upholstery tacks. I bought 1" thick foam and cut it to fit inside the seat.

Here’s one source for the tape.

The amount of tape needed is calculated like this: Shaker Tape Yardage Calculator
HOWEVER. This method ignores the wrap-around so I would actually measure the OUTSIDE of the seat rails instead of the inside, and then do the calculation.

The tacks: https://www.joann.com/upholstery-steel-tacks-3-8in-number-3-15-ounces-black/8626855.html

Here’s the instructional video.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I love that you saved this old chair. And the faded spots on the tape make this project look BETTER than it would have otherwise.

1 Like