Sherry-Cream Brussels Sprouts - Come On! Give Them a Chance!

I know what you’re thinking…ewww…brussels sprouts, right? I’ve found my tastes have changed their tune on a lot of foods since I was a kid. And bacon makes EVERYTHING better, am I right?

OK, my husband and I also have a massive Corning Ware collection in the Blue Cornflower pattern…so…as many completed delicious food-stuffs as we can come up with be featured in our pieces from our collection and accompanied by the matching utensils and plates and such as well. Because, well, we’re proud of our 200+ pieces! LOL!

Here’s the recipe I started with:

And here are my modifications and additions :slight_smile:

I don’t know where to get sherry cream, so I substituted about 1/4-1/2 c.* of cooking sherry that’s readily available for about $2/bottle in my local grocery store with all the other cooking wines and olive and other oils.
I increased the heavy cream to 2/3 c. to 1 c.*
I make a special ‘secret seasoning’ blend at my house that consists mostly of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders, Lawry’s Seasoned Pepper blend, and a seasoning blend called Complete Seasoning made by Badia (you can Google both of these to find out where you can buy, or just order on Amazon). I mix these all up and put in a recycled large spice jar with a shaker top and put this stuff literally in EVERYTHING I cook, saves time not having to grab 7 bottles of spices each time I cook.
I added in about 1 Tbsp of butter and 1 Tbsp of bacon grease. We have a grease pot for bacon grease only that we save from cooking whole packages, I add it as flavoring to anything that calls for bacon when I’m not cooking whole pieces or packages. If you don’t have bacon grease to use, then make it 2 Tbsp of butter for your sauce.
I use pre-packed bacon pieces, NOT bacon bits, as the pieces are real bacon and chunky like you would get from crumbling full bacon slices and you’re not adding more prep time and such this way. For this recipe, I use about 3oz (which is about the size of one of the single, small bags you can get from the store over by the croutons and salad dressing section), or about a 1/3 c. if measuring from a large bag.
I use a full 8oz package or possibly more if I have more brussels sprouts I’m working with.
I use pre-minced garlic you can buy in a jar, again, to lessen my prep time. I use about 1-2 tsp. from the jar. I use minced garlic in olive oil, as you can buy it minced but not in oil.
Do NOT omit or substitute the shallot, trust me! It makes a huge difference in the taste. Feel free to add in a small chopped white or yellow onion, but it’s not needed, and I never add any.

*Depending if I’m making 1lb or more, I may increase the liquids needed for the sauce

As far as the changes to the directions, read what the recipe suggests, but this is exactly my process I follow:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Find a large mixing bowl or plastic chip or popcorn bowl, you’ll need this at the end to toss sauce and vegetables.
Line a large cookie sheet (mine is about 14x20" with a 1" lip all the way around so nothing rolls off) with foil.
Chop and prep your ingredients, including measuring out your sherry and heavy whipping cream for the sauce.
On the brussels sprouts, I buy them whole in a bag and chop them myself. I cut off the ‘butts’ and usually a few outer leaves peel off, but I toss them on the pan as long as they’re not super wilted-looking or marred in some other way.
Chop your mushrooms however you like, unless you bought them already sliced, and spread them out on the sheet pan with your brussels sprouts.
Drizzle the 2 Tbsp of olive oil over your sprouts and mushrooms on the sheet pan. Add another tsp or 2 if needed if you have a lot of sprouts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and some or most of the seasonings I listed out above from my ‘secret’ blend. I’d also add in about 1/2 tsp. of rosemary if you’re not using too many of those spices. Toss sprouts and mushrooms in the oil and seasonings, and put into your preheated oven for 20-25min depending if you have 1lb or more of sprouts to roast.

Make your sherry-cream sauce while you wait the 20-25min on roasting.
Melt butter and bacon grease in a 1.5qt sauce pan over medium heat.
Add in your chopped shallots and minced garlic, saute for about 2-3 minutes.
Add your bacon pieces, saute for about another 1-2 minutes to soften them.
Add sherry and simmer to reduce by 1/3. Add heavy cream and simmer until you have about 5 minutes left on your timer for the sprouts and mushrooms that have been roasting, turn heat to low to keep warm and viscous.
Toss sprouts and mushrooms in large bowl with your sauce, let stand a couple minutes to cool, serve and eat! Or, in our case, we load the sprouts into our Corning Ware after tossing and take photos of it to post online :joy::rofl:

Any questions or requests for clarification are welcome! Any tips or suggestions for me on this? Also welcome!
Thanks for looking, and possibly drooling, over one of my top 5 favorite side dishes to make.

8 Likes

Here’s a photo of the sauce as it was simmering and waiting for the sprouts to come out of the oven :yum::yum::yum:

1 Like

these sound amazing! and that dinnerware takes me back. love it! thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks! They really are super tasty. We love the nostalgia that our Corning Ware provides, and it’s a huge topic of conversation any time food comes up with us! LOL!

Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite things. I’ll have to try this!

1 Like

This is going on my to-do list for 2020, it sounds delicious. Thank you for the details and tips!

1 Like

Omigosh this looks delicious! I can almost smell it.

1 Like

Absolutely! You’re very welcome!

I wish I was eating that right now! Mmm, sprouts. My man calls them horrible little green torture balls, lol. All for me, all for me!

2 Likes

Looks delish…I’m gonna try making a batch :slight_smile:

no, i would never think this, because BRUSSELS ARE AMAZING! and i bet they were so good! i roast them and made a knock off honey sriracha, but this looks pretty good (minus the bacon).

\m/

1 Like

I have recently fallen in love with brussel sprouts and these look great :+1:t2:

I’m a bacon fanatic, but you can easily skip the bacon bits and bacon grease in lieu of extra butter and turkey bacon or vegan bacon. Sorry, don’t know if it’s a just-don’t-like, or kosher thing, or a vegetarian thing on skipping the bacon :wink: You definitely have options to omit or substitute!

Oh, no worries, I was giving your post love because I’m a brussel fan! So it caught my eye! Yummo!

And I like the idea of sherry.