Ship in a Bottle

I wasn’t sure where to post this!

I’ve created a ship in a bottle from plans for a “full sized” wood ship model I made years ago. I’d love to receive feedback on this project! As is, I think it looks ok, but I’m thinking of taking it back out of the bottle and weathering the sails, and adding more bits and pieces to the deck, etc…

Alan

Youtube link to Build VideoShip In a Bottle

14 Likes

Ooh, that looks so pretty! Nice sails :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I think it looks great as is but now I want to see it with weathered sails. That would be cool. Is it hard getting it out of the bottle?

1 Like

I watched your entire instructional video and was mesmerized by the amount of detail you put into this. Who knew a cracker box could become such a tiny wonderful project!?

Many of the things you used are household objects…you know we have a wee house craftalong that could put some of those to use…I am sure I can make “wood” planks for my doll house floor using cardboard now! And paper clips to make metal fittings!

Thank you for sharing and revealing how the ship gets into the bottle! I don’t have the patience to ever make such a thing, but I still learned so many things!!!

I do think more weathering would be appropriate on the sails and boat. She should look like she has been out to sea for a very long time.

Where do you get your designs? You obviously have a knowledge of sailboats (I kept waiting for you to put on the rudder!)…

3 Likes

I didn’t watch the video since I am at work but your comments make me want to go watch it. I’ll have to remember to do it this evening.

3 Likes

lol I am fascinated by process and am intrigued by what I call “traditional” craftsmanship…glad to see that sites like this are keeping them alive…from model building to economy quilts to weaving…there is so much to admire and learn

2 Likes

Ok, I’m definitely going to weather the sails, and also add a patch or two. It won’t be hard to get out of the bottle. The masts just rest inside the cylinders in the deck, so I can use the “prong” to lift them out, and then slide out the pieces. :smiley:.

1 Like

Thanks AIMR! This was a design I came up with around 2008 or so when I’d created a larger wood version. (scratchbuilding model ships has been one of my strange obsessions for years). It was pretty easy to just shrink everything down and then print. :slight_smile:

I think I might create a “bath” of very dilute white acrylic paint wash, and dip the model into it in order to create a waterline, and then start adding crates/boxes, and miscellaneous other odds and ends onto the deck. Now I want to leave work early and go home to work on it. Lol

4 Likes

Wow-- that video is a project of its own! Very impressive, and I agree with @AIMR about admiring the tiny “wood” board technique.

1 Like

That is AMAZING! I am so fascinated with how these are done.

2 Likes

Thanks Kittykill. :slight_smile:

Yes, that sounds fabulous…the salt encrusted water line and even some bumps to represent the barnacles that often attach themselves to the hull…my imagination is boundless when it comes to the sea and the tiny perfection that you give your ships makes me excited to see what you come up with!

1 Like

Oh, wow, this is amazing!!! Have always loved these … anything that makes me go, “OMG, how did they do that!!!” Very cool!

2 Likes

I am almost always in favor of “distressing”! The notion that it would look like a ship that has seen some time at sea really appeals to me.

2 Likes

I vote for distressing, too! A ship needs history! And a name. Maybe a log book. And a mini flag…

1 Like

Oh my goodness, I just watched your entire video … where do I start …

The tiny stair case,
The dexterity putting the sails together and the patience it must have taken,
You painted characters with the tip of your knife,
It was all made of thin cardboard,
Etc, etc, etc

This was craftsmanship at its finest!

I think adding more to the deck would give it character as would weathering the sails. I’d also suggest adding something in the bottom of the bottle to represent water and make it appear to be sailing.

1 Like

Awesome Craftbenchmodels! I’m a sucker for a step by step video! Your work is amazing. I don’t know how this would work when putting it back into the bottle but adding ropes to the sails/masts could make it even more dramatic. Great job! CJ
And yes, maybe having a more technical-mechanical section in LettuceCraft would be interesting. CJ

2 Likes

Thanks for the incredibly kind feedback and great suggestions, everyone!

1 Like

Absolutely wonderful. And your video is delightful. Such an education. Thank you for sharing it.

1 Like