Shoreline Chic Convertible Shells Necklace

My mom threw out a little battered and misshapen straw hat that had unique shell beads attached around the crown. When my eyes spied it, I quickly snatched it out of the trash and snipped off the shells. They were so beautiful in their uniqueness and I gloated over my find.

I decided to make 2 necklaces (and then changed to a convertible necklace) using 2 of my favs. To add more interest, I decided to add dangles to each shell.

Each one had 1 pre-drilled hole where it had been sewn to the hat, making it fast and easy to create my design. I used reclaimed silver tone chains and beads, and new jump rings and lobster clasps.

The detachable shell pendants attach, via the lobster clasps, between the crystal bicone and faceted metallic gunmetal beads.

I chose a jasper mix ebead for the necklace. An ebead is a larger, usually 6/0, seedbead. I usually don’t care for brown and muted hues, but I have to say, this bead mix is so lustrous and beautiful. The cream beads mixed in makes it more attractive too, at least to me.

If you want to see a jasper bead mix for sale, here’s one in a tube, like mine were, at Amazon: Czech Glass Natural Jasper 6/0 E-Beads in a tube. No affiliation. Just sharing the beautiful beads. I did not pay $10 back when I bought mine. I probably got them through Wmart dot com and they were probably on sale or clearance. You will find a type of bead for sale and you can click through the thumbnails to see what colors are available. After I selected the colors that I wanted, I decided to give the jasper mix a try. It’s a good way to try new colors because you have to pick through what is left and you want to take advantage of the clearance. :smiling_face: This jasper mix was a win win!

The Charms of Light website shares that, Jasper is known as the “supreme nurturer”. It sustains and supports through times of stress, and brings tranquility and wholeness. Jasper provides protection and absorbs negative energy. It encourages honesty with one’s self. Provides courage to assertively tackle problems. Aids quick-thinking and promotes organisational abilities. Jasper stimulates the imagination and transforms ideas into action. It supports during prolonged illness and re-energises the body.

What else is left for other stones to do? :smile:

I designed this necklace to be an over-the-head design with no clasp. The down side is that the pendants have the lobster clasps, which can be a challenge for some. Being of a certain age, I’m always thinking about ease of wear, not only for myself but for others who have physical challenges.

The dangles add just the right touch of sparkling accent to the interchangeable, shell pendants of this coastal-themed handmade necklace!

Thanks for taking a look! This is my 7th post in my pursuit of the Chameleon Badge! 11 to go. :hot_face:

18 Likes

Well, you’re sure off to a good start! Really pretty jewelry, and also a great upcycle for the shells.

1 Like

So pretty, and great save of the shells.

1 Like

This is a lovely save! And how awesome that you can have 3 different looks with this project.

1 Like

Gosh, that circle shell is just enchanting. I think I’d wear that every day! Gorgeous. Your bead transition looks like that beautiful dried decorative corn. Like the pale one here, just beautiful.

2 Likes

Love the versatility of the two different pendants…also, being able to wear the beads on their own!

You saved those shells for another life…and a beautiful one. Adding just a few dangles highlights their beauty.

1 Like

Thank you both! Upcycling is more fun than buying new. Well, almost more fun!

:smile: Yes! That is probably what they always reminded me of but I couldn’t place it! That is a beautiful bunch of Indian corn! The packaging is very nice too. I don’t mean to offend anyone by calling it that. I think it’s a beautiful name for it. Do you have this decor piece at home?

Thanks to both of you! Have always been so excited about the pendants that I forget the bead strand can be worn alone. It drapes nicely too because of the real stone beads.

2 Likes

I just googled an image to find what I was thinking of.
It’s an awkward name for sure. I looked up alternatives:
Indurata (sometimes called calico corn ) is a variant of maize, the same species as common corn. Because each kernel has a hard outer layer to protect the soft endosperm, it is likened to being hard as flint; hence the name.

Did you know, any hard kernel corn can be popped? Despite the vibrant hues, the colourful stuff makes very white popcorn, not goldeny yellowish at all.

2 Likes

How fascinating about the name origin. I like that name and I think I have heard of calico corn.

No, I didn’t know. Thanks for sharing your research and knowledge. :sparkling_heart:

I concur, the added dangles highlight the shells. Beautiful and versatile necklace!

1 Like

These are just stunning! I love the jasper mix. It really compliments the white shells. I also love that the dangles are reflected in the center beads on the necklace. Lovely and thoughtful execution!

1 Like

This is absolutely glorious! What a fantastic save on those shells.

Woohoo, you’ll get those 11 more posts before you know it!

1 Like

I didn’t notice until you shared! Though I may have chosen them for that reason. :smiling_face: Thank you!

Thank you! My most rewarding supplies are the scavenged ones.

:gem: :gem: :gem: Congratulations! Your Necklace is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :gem: :gem: :gem:

1 Like

Both necklace pendants are so pretty. I’d have a hard time choosing between them.

1 Like

For those who want to see, I found an image of all of the shells that I got off the old hat!

@Magpie @gozer @AIMR

3 Likes

That circle shell just sings at me. Love it!

2 Likes

Those are neat shells.

1 Like

Wow, so pretty! And such a great idea.
It took a minute for me to realize the title meant that the necklace was convertible - I was over here wondering what convertible shells are :laughing:

1 Like

:smile: I thought about adding convertible shell pendants but the title was just getting too long. Thanks for visiting and commenting!